IGNORED

Z won't start

OniZ

wanted to post an update as i went a different route for fixing my starter problems. after doing some research i find that adding a Bosch four pole relay into the starter wiring might work.

tried that and yes, my starter hits every time now. :)

$10 for the relay, and another $5 for the crimp connectors, and 12 ga wire.

took the ignition switch wire off the solenoid, and ran it to the relay, pole 86.

came off the battery with a wire to the relay pole 30/51 and out the opposite side, pole 87 back to the ignition switch connection.

and last pole 85 was grounded to the car body. this took maybe thirty minutes and was a very easy and cheap fix. and i read where this takes the load off the ignition switch as a bonus.

OK ONIZ

We all like to solve our own issues because it helps us to be better trouble shooters. But now it's time to take it to a true professional. Words of advice though, never buy electronic parts from a junkyard. They may be in worse shape than what you already have and you could end up with a bigger issue than you currently have. The ignition switches are not universal. They have a different circuit between the fuel injected and carburetted models. If possible find someone that specializes in Z cars. More often than not they will let you watch while they fix the problem. They generally appreciate the owners desire to learn about his vehicle and if you pick their brains enough some will even give you preferential treatment. Otherwise you may just throw many $$$ in parts at the problem and never fix it properly. Good Luck

2MUCHZ

Actually, you gave bad advice since this is really a fairly easy fix. If you know how to test electrical parts, why not buy them from the junkyard? Sometimes that's the only place you can find them. Not only are the ignition swithches universal for 70-83 S30s and S130s, they are also used in other Datsuns such as 510s, 610s, 810s, etc. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier as I would have given OniZ one the used, but tested swithces I have in the bins on my workbench. And what's worse, throwing parts at a problem or paying that "true professional" to solve a problem that you can solve yourself?

wanted to post an update as i went a different route for fixing my starter problems. after doing some research i find that adding a Bosch four pole relay into the starter wiring might work.

Have a look at post #4