IGNORED

How many Series One 240Zs are left??

zcar70

I figure that Nissan built approximately 18,000 or so series one 240Zs from 10/69 to 1/71. 40 years later, how many do you all think are still on the road today?

How many 1970s?

How many 1971s?

Hey, it's December. Just thought I would get some different conversation going!

:)

That's a tough question to answer correctly I think. We can get a fair idea of how many are being parted out by tracking sales on Ebay or other venues, but "still on the road" is harder to gauge. Could be more in storage, being restored, etc, than on the road I think. This subject was last covered a little over a year ago.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30076

Closer to 20,000 total for the North American market. The '70 vs. '71 question is indeterminate because many states back then allowed cars to be titled as either model year, year sold or year of build date. So we have oddities like cars titled and registered as 1969 240Zs, or cars built in 12/70 (with 1971 emissions stickers) registered as 1970s.

Traditionally, we here in the USA would consider cars built 9/70 or later as '71s, which matches what Nissan did with later year splits. If you use that break point, then there were somewhere around 8-9000 as 1970 models for North America, and another 11-12,000 as 1971 models in the final 4 months of the year.

As to how many are left - that really hard to say. Here out West I see them not infrequently. But even here, most of the remnants are quite rusty. I'm sure that the majority are long gone. Rough wild guess? There may be as many as 25% hidden around, but probably not.

That's a tough question to answer correctly I think. We can get a fair idea of how many are being parted out by tracking sales on Ebay or other venues..........

One way to track the Ebay sales for not only the Series I 240Zs, but all 240Zs that have been sold on Ebay is by this website (requires a paid subscription):

http://www.collectorcarpricetracker.com/

A lot of 240Zs have been sold on Ebay; however, this doesn't even scratch the surface when you consider Craigslist, Cars.com, local newspapers, car lots, etc. And once the cars are purchased what becomes of them? Are they registered with the local DMV, licensed and driven right away? Are they used as parts cars? Are they stored away for many years with the intention of restoring?

Hey guys, in addition to posting your series 1 cars here, it would be nice to have the info included in MikeW's list also for easy reference, if you haven't already done so. It's great for seeing at a glance what cars the guys who frequent this site have, along with a short vague description. It's not restricted to series 1 cars either.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry

Just a thought.:)

PS - Steve, I keep my ear to the ground when it comes to hard to find Series 1 parts, as do many of us. I think it gives us a rough idea of the rate of Series 1 car loss due to parting out but I agree that what we hear of doesn't scratch the surface.

Edited by geezer