IGNORED

Who actually did S30's styling? We can make it clear

kats

Thank you 7tooZ and 240znz ,
I wish Mr .Tamura could tell more about our cars. 
Kats
7tooZ , I will send some pictures of the fog.

Sweet

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

• 11 months later...

Hi , dutchzcarguy reminds me this thread . I would like to explain the story behind the rear deck glass which Mr. Tamura struggled to make its style better . ( Sorry If I did it already before ) 

Mr . Tamura was thinking seriously about the curve of the glass which was nature when the glass was baked .

The design team made clay model but usually they didn’t care about the curve of the glass . In the clay model , the glass area was put films and the area was cone , if you look from side , it looked flat .

Mr. Tamura knew the glass is not flat but he could not be able to have actual glass , nor test it when he was designing the rear deck . He was afraid the design line of the roof and the rear end of the deck were not meet the curved glass .

So he used his imagination fully, think again and again , he assumed curve rate which glasses normally have .

He finally lifted up the end of the roof 10mm , also lifted up 5 mm at the rear deck panel where the bottom of the glass meets .

He was happy his decision after seeing the car . A lot bolder , sharper , this rear and side view tensioned the styling a lot more beautiful.

Mr.Tamura also said “ Mr. Matsuo was asking me  what are you doing ? You need to be quick “

But after seeing his work , Mr.Matsuo said nothing about it .

” I felt Mr.Matsuo liked the re-finish of my work which made the roof line and side view much better than before , compared to the clay model which was used for the presentation for the executives “ 

Please see the drawings which was made by Mr. Tamura .

Kats

605B226C-2B49-41AD-90B4-7E87D16AD7EC.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/25/2009 at 10:24 PM, 26th-Z said:

A subject near to my heart, Kats! The pictures are great! Where did you find them? What is said about the lines with the arrows? Those are 'signature' lines for the S30. Very technical, those hard black lines can be duplicated mathematically. They are hand drawn with "french curves". Notice the blend of different curves along the rake of the body. Also, notice the proportion chosen to sharply curve the rear window line up to the rake line. This is cool stuff.

post-4148-1415080874049_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, I am so sorry that I missed your question, I  am trying to answer .

What is said about the lines with the arrows? Those are 'signature' lines for the S30

I need to read it again the original letter when I home . I am in Chicago now , stay tuned.

Kats

• 2 years later...

I apologize Chris,  I will reply for the question from Chris. Sorry for this slow .

But today  @Ian , I have forgotten that I have this unique thing , a plan view for the coupe based on SR311 . The memo said

“ it never made happened due to lack of head clearance  ( Note CSP roof line for comparison) “ And the body line were already looked like a S30 “ 

I don’t have any knowledge about Roadster and Silvia , and who did this study ? Mr.Matsuo and Mr. Yoshida started their design based on a roadster. Is this plan view related to them or whom any other else? 

Kats

4E47DE51-A07A-4022-91A6-D54B6B280897.jpeg

EF2D227F-31A9-4508-8C1B-5E58EE3F6437.jpeg

F61DD101-B6A2-4D69-B900-B7154486C30F.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

HI Kats,

I can't really answer your question, maybe just add a bit. The CSP went on as a design concept as a 2 by 2, by lengthing it, plus other changes. The CSP and the SP/SR are all based on the typical height of a Japanese person, as its their home market. So, was the sketch looking at how the CSP and SR look like for person room, so they could decide where they wanted to go ergonomics for the following concepts/ideas?

• Like 1