IGNORED

Tamiya 1/12th scale Z

five&dime

I have wanted one of these models for years. I just didn't want to spend $130 and have to pay shipping from Hong Kong. 1/12th scale Tamiya 240ZG. It appears to come with the standard front end as well and that is how I will build mine.

Well this weekend I found one on ebay from a guy in VA for half the usual asking price. 2000 items and 99.9% feedback. It's new in the box as well so.....

While looking around for detail sets etc, I came across this guy's build. Truly amazing!!!!! Note the parking break linkage, hood catch, diff, fuel system etc.!!! Unreal. Cannot wait to start on mine. I am thinking of doing a barn find version with rust etc.

I will take lots of pix of the process as I have wanted to see the quality of this kit for years. I couldn't find any photos online in the past. I hope it's as nice as it's rumored to be :)

http://public.fotki.com/Greg5000/tamiya-112-datsun-240zg/

I received the kit in the mail yesterday. First impressions... It's huge!!! I mean the box must weight 7-8 lbs!!!! The detail is absolutely amazing for a kit pressed in the 70's!!!!

I was blown away by the fact that the interior panels are all soft rubber and look like real. The seats have amazingly real texture to them. It has items like tools, wheel chocks, etc. The transmission is like 8 pieces!!!! There are two sets of plated parts. One finish is simulated aluminum and the other is more chrome. The half shafts actually turn in the diff case and have knuckles for the u-joint construction. They also have real rubber boots!!! All the suspension and drivetrain is accurately recreated with mustache bar etc.

I couldn't believe it. I took many photos and will post some this eve.

What I was hoping to get were some photos of the G nose cars. I spent a lot of time on the forum and on google and got some pretty good images but was hoping someone here could direct me towards a thread on these specific cars. I want to know the colors offered on these cars (if any different or unusual colors) and would like to see some restored examples and preferably some ragged out versions. I am leaning towards doing this as a weathered barn find with rust etc.

However, the guy building the kit I submitted the link to in post #1 e-mailed me and is going to get me a set of the 16" watanabes he is having cast so I may try and re-create Eiji's car with the slide valves etc :)

Anyhew...... For anyone considering one of these, you will not be dissapointed!!!

Are you following on flickr? You know that link I posted #1 wasn't my build right? That is another guy on the model car forum. His build is amazing!!! I don't if I am that skilled :) But I do plan on going all out with wires, brake lines, linkages etc. I also plan to drill out molded bolts and use real ones for suspension etc.

I am going to go back to the junkyard out to pasture thread.

Maybe I can take submissions of peoples "out to pasture Z's" and recreate a members back yard Z. As a G nose of course......

Edited by five&dime

There is a kit out there to convert that car to left hand drive and non-gnose. I think it is sold on hobbylink japan. www.hobbylinkjapan.com

I got the Gnose kit when I was stationed in Yokosuka in the early 2000s I paind 4000 yen for it which was the price on the box. I also go the Safri version as well. I love Tamiya kits as a matter of fact I have over 20 1/12 scale kits in my closet in the spare room all waiting to be build.

Please let me know if you want to sell any 1/12 kits. Tamiya are my favorites as well. I didn't see the conversion kit on that site :(

I will have to look into the kit conversion. The guy in the first link building the one with brake lines etc is having a set of watanabes made. He also has the rally kit and I asked if he could get carbs and the front end parts cast as well.

BTW, those brake lines etc are not part of the kit. The guy's name is Greg who is building the kit in the first link I posted in #1. He is a true artist!!! I do plan on doing many of the same things he is doing though :)

Edited by five&dime