IGNORED

280Z hub vs 240z hub

EricB

Hi all,

I am about to switch out my stock 73 240Z strut housings for a set of the larger diameter 280Z housings.

Can I carry over my stock 240Z hubs / brakes to the new 280z front spindles, or do I need to get those off of a 280Z as well?

Are there any offset differences I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

-e

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the answer to your specific question, and I'm not sure that the 280Z struts are the right length. Have you measured the overall length and the position of the spring seat to see if there are any differences? You have me curious now.

Use the 280Z hub and rotor. The 280Z (along with the 260Z one) hub is stronger (thicker casting) as it was designed for the increased weight of the 2+2 cars. The 280Z hub wheel mounting surface is also thicker and it does not have the “scallops” like on the 240Z hub.

However, using the 280Z hub requires you to use the 280Z (or 260Z) rotor as well. Nissan changed the rotor offset (made it smaller) to allow the rotor max run-out spec to be lowered. To compensate for the different rotor offset Nissan changed the hub offset to match it.

And yes, this issue has been well discussed on the HybridZ forum.

BTW, the 240Z brake caliper is the same one that was used on the 280Z.