IGNORED

L28 has a Intake popping noise

beebeecivic

Hey Z Car users, I have a stock 1978 280z .

I just recently got the Spark plugs, plug wires, Dizzy cap and Rotor replaced. Followed with a timing. Under acceleration the intake makes a "pop" noise. I wa told the car was running lean. Has anyone ever had this problem? If you do, how did you fix it?

thanks!

-bee

Did you have the work done to fix the popping problem or did this surface after the shop did the work? Did they actually adjust the timing or just check it?

Intake pops after you goose throttle do usually mean lean with carbs. I'm sure it can mean the same with your car

If you just had the plug wires replaced, start with the easiest and make sure your plug wires are installed correctly

Did you have the work done to fix the popping problem or did this surface after the shop did the work? Did they actually adjust the timing or just check it?

Intake pops after you goose throttle do usually mean lean with carbs. I'm sure it can mean the same with your car

If you just had the plug wires replaced, start with the easiest and make sure your plug wires are installed correctly

The work was done with a fellow Z member. He brought over the timing gun and helped me timed it and also brought a mini tach to adjust the idle speed (800 rpms).

When the car runs lean is it due to a weak pump , Im getting about 30 PSI when the car is off and about 32 or so when the car is running (the FSM shows that it needs a min. of 36.3psi )

And the plugs are plugged in (counter clock wise) 1,5,3,6,2,4

thanks again!

-bee

Hey nice catch on the fuel pressure! That can definitely cause the lean condition, especially at higher rpm

:beer:

Thanks. We have come to a conclusion that the FPR is one of the problems (we pulled the vacuum hose off of the FPR and stuck a screw in it the pressure built up. Then we pulled the screw off and stuck it back into the FPR and the pressure dropped to around 24. I am going to order a new FPR and see where it goes then.

• 4 weeks later...