IGNORED

Post Your Original Decal Pictures Here

Travel'n Man

Decoy...I think the decal from the Ebay photo is a gas station servicing decal from the '70s. I had the remains of one on my drivers door from a Union 76 station in Calif...same size as your decal.

Yea you and Mike B. are right about it being a service decal... I asked the ebay guy and he said the same thing. At least now I won't feel bad when I peel the rest of it off LOL

post-21059-14150814452896_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the choke lightbulb, to go with the "Life" fuse posted earlier.

Edited by Decoy12

• 3 weeks later...

I have a late 1971 (series II) with a build date of 8/71. My original Emissions Decal on the underside of the hood is different than the reproduction 1971 Emissions Decals available from Motorsport and and other sources. First, it is definitely gold in color, while all of the reproduction 1971 decals I've seen are silver. Also, the writing on it seems to be a mix between the writing on the reproduction 1971s and the reproduction 1972s available from Motorsport. I know the car was delivered to and purchased at a California dealership -- this could definitely explain the existence of the California-specific language in the original.

Have others found that their original 1971 Emissions Decals were gold instead of silver? Anyone have any idea if a reproduction decal like the original from my car for a 1971 is available?

Also, my car had the California emissions decal in the driver's side quarter window like that posted by rtaylor earlier in this thread.

post-20009-14150814650228_thumb.jpg

post-20009-14150814650408_thumb.jpg

post-20009-14150814650843_thumb.jpg

I thought about that, but the gold is pretty uniform -- much more uniform than I would expect from fading/color change. Also, it doesn't explain why the text of the decal is different from the reproductions.

Here are pics of the Motorsport repros for a 1971 and a 1972. The text of my decal is not identical to either of these. It's actually kind of a cross between the 71 and the 72. The part number at the bottom of the 72 is close to mine, but not exact. The color definitely matches the 72 better though.

post-20009-1415081465107_thumb.jpg

post-20009-14150814651222_thumb.jpg

Mine (7/71 build date) is also gold. Pretty certain it was always gold, doesn't look like an age thing. Can't recall what it says, and I didn't drive it to work today, so I'll have to take a look at it later tonight.

Also, my car had the California emissions decal in the driver's side quarter window like that posted by rtaylor earlier in this thread.

Are those window emission decal shown in your third picture reproductions? If so, could you tell me your source as I would like to have one for my car. Thanks.

Dan

I have a late 1971 (series II) with a build date of 8/71. My original Emissions Decal on the underside of the hood is different than the reproduction 1971 Emissions Decals available from Motorsport and and other sources. First, it is definitely gold in color, while all of the reproduction 1971 decals I've seen are silver. Also, the writing on it seems to be a mix between the writing on the reproduction 1971s and the reproduction 1972s available from Motorsport. I know the car was delivered to and purchased at a California dealership -- this could definitely explain the existence of the California-specific language in the original.

Have others found that their original 1971 Emissions Decals were gold instead of silver? Anyone have any idea if a reproduction decal like the original from my car for a 1971 is available?

My car's label is exactly the same as you pictured. Gold label, part #14805-E4603.

• 2 months later...

I found this decal for the second time, the first time I didn't have anyway to take a picture. This time I had my phone... but since it's an old phone please excuse the bad quality. It's a "Spark Plug Instructions" decal on the the valve cover (passenger side) probably above piston #5, written in English, German, and French respectively... saw it on a 280z, but with parts replaced I am not sure if they were original to the 280z.

post-21059-14150815623497_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Was there a spark plug decal on 1972 240Z's in the US? I stumbled upon a valve cover with the decal and was able to remove it without destroying it. The car was stripped in a salvage yard and I believe a newer model but it caught my attention. Any advise on if they came on May 1972 cars would be great.