IGNORED

So....looking for further basic mods for L26

g9m3c

So, as I'm about to install my Ztherapy carbs on my 260Z in place of the original crap-tops, I find myself in a predicament. I expect a pretty noticeable performance and driveability increase. As you all know, the satisfaction of new modifications wears off after a short time which leaves you wanting more. Now, I fully intend on swapping an 8 of some kind in this car eventually, but I'd like to kick up the 6 in the meantime.

I'd venture to guess that the next step would be a header and new exhaust. That's a fairly inexpensive project that kind of needs to be done anyway, considering my piping is fairly rusty. No leaks yet, though. Now, with this project, I want to replace my muffler with one that perfectly highlights that sexy Datsun exhaust note. When I drive by a car guy's house, I want him to say, "There goes an S30." ;) I've seen some of MSA's exhaust systems use a Dynomax muffler. How do those sound?

Would a cam be next? What would you suggest?

Open to any and all suggestions. :beer:

I sort of agree. Why put money into something you are going to swap out anyway. You say you like the sound of the straight 6. Put the money you would have put in the 8 and put it into great parts for the 6. Sure the 8 may be faster, but the total driving pleasure of keeping the car true to its roots far outweighs that. Besides, a hot L26 is FAR more rare than a V8 swapped car.

I understand that guys, I'm not gonna put a fortune into the L26 or nothing. I just want some mild performance goodies to keep me smiling. :) How much would I be looking at to do a cam swap?

Doing a cam right will be $500+. A header won't help all that much without the cam.

Dynomax sounds OK to me, but I'm looking into different options that might emphasize the inline 6 sound. Leaning towards Magnaflow at this point.

I want to replace my muffler with one that perfectly highlights that sexy Datsun exhaust note. When I drive by a car guy's house, I want him to say, "There goes an S30."
That's not going to happen once you swap in the V8. When they hear you, they're going to think "Camaro". ;)

I've seen some of MSA's exhaust systems use a Dynomax muffler. How do those sound?

I installed that kit a few weeks ago with the stock exhaust manifold. In my opinion the Dynomax sounds pretty good. Has a good deep sound to it and doesn't sound "ricey" at all. Should sound even better with a header.

But if I were you I'd hold off on it if you're just going tot drop a V8 into it eventually even if it's down the road a bit. I haven't a clue how much a V8 conversion is but I'd say instead of putting money into building the L26 up I'd just start saving for that V8, but that's just me.

Good luck.

I only spent $20 at Schuck (Kragen / Checker) for a Raptor Turbo Muffler and everyone that has heard it, says they absolutely love the sound. I have a 6 into 1 ceramic coated head and 2.5" exhaust back to the Raptor Muffler.

Here's a couple examples, but they don't do the Real sound justice....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=54&t=33292

Click on the first video titled "240Z new exhaust" I tried to link it but it has the letters d.i.c.k. in it and the programming on CZCC won't display it cause it thinks it's a swear word. dumb.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=240z+new+exhaust&search_type=&aq=f

and floored at 6500RPM....

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Zs-ondabrain: Is that a welded muffler? I have a cheap crimped Dynomax turbo on there now. I'm wondering if those two are basically the same. I haven't really heard this one at full throttle in the upper rpms yet because my flat-tops crapped out a while before then. Maybe I'll like it once I get it tuned in correctly. The main beef I have with it is it's extremely cheaply made.

Pause the "240Z new exhaust" video at 6 seconds. you should be able to see that it's a rolled edge crimp assembly. I've backfired a few time (timing was off a bit) and it help strong. still looks good after 3 years as well. I think it's aluminized steel.

But just keep in mind that it was an "ON SALE" muffler, 3 years ago. you get what you pay for in this business, but I think I got a hell of a deal so far. everybody loves the sound and it seems to be holding up to my lead foot. Even sounds better than the 800 watt stereo on occation.

Dave

Pause the "240Z new exhaust" video at 6 seconds. you should be able to see that it's a rolled edge crimp assembly. I've backfired a few time (timing was off a bit) and it help strong. still looks good after 3 years as well. I think it's aluminized steel.

But just keep in mind that it was an "ON SALE" muffler, 3 years ago. you get what you pay for in this business, but I think I got a hell of a deal so far. everybody loves the sound and it seems to be holding up to my lead foot. Even sounds better than the 800 watt stereo on occation.

Dave

Ah, same deal with mine. I guess I'll see how this one holds up first. As I recall (it's been 3+ months since I've driven it), it was really quiet at idle and slow acceleration, but got fairly loud when I floored it. I just haven't put it through a full test yet. :)