IGNORED

L28 Inline 6 - Turbo'd ??

75Super_z

Ok, I am hoping for a little help here. I have been searching the website and I have not found a lot of information on this.

Im thinking about doing a motor swap to an RB25DET in my 280Z.

Question: Has anyone tried modding the L28 Inline 6 (turbo, motor mods, etc) and if so what kind of numbers are you seeing?

To swap over to an RB25 its going to be $8k - $10k and Im wondering if I would get some good numbers by just modding up the inline 6?

Thanks in advance...

- Patrick:beer:

Ok, I am hoping for a little help here. I have been searching the website and I have not found a lot of information on this.

Im thinking about doing a motor swap to an RB25DET in my 280Z.

Question: Has anyone tried modding the L28 Inline 6 (turbo, motor mods, etc) and if so what kind of numbers are you seeing?

To swap over to an RB25 its going to be $8k - $10k and Im wondering if I would get some good numbers by just modding up the inline 6?

Thanks in advance...

- Patrick:beer:

How much power do you want? More importantly, how much power do you really need? What is the car going to be used for? How often will it be driven? and how? Does it need to be a daily driver? What is your budget? Is the rest of the car up to the task of more HP?

These are all questions that need answers before any meaningful answer can be given.

Im looking to be in the 300whp - 350whp (not looking for a TON of power just fun). It is my weekend/summer car. When I do drive it will mostly be to "cruise" but I also want to have enough power to have some fun when I need to. Budget is not that big of a concern.... I am more curious to find out what will be the best option. I can get 350WHP out of the RB25 with just a swap and some bolt ons. Im wondering if I put time and money into the L28 if I will get the same numbers and save some $$ in the process.

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Modified-Datsun-240z-with-Engineers-Certificate-NSW_W0QQitemZ250449537353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cars?hash=item3a4ff4a949&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

AS you can see he has gotten 203hp out of the l28 with turbo so if your looking for 300rwhp you might want to go the RB25 route. The RB25DET will add $$'s to the Z as well.

The easiest thing to do is what I have in my Z. It will be even easier for you because I added 75 fuel injection to my 260. Get a turbo motor with injectors, turbo, exhaust back to cat, and AFM. Swap the injectors off the turbo onto your intake, do a guts swap in the AFM, bolt your intake onto the turbo motor, use the turbo throttle body. I know I'm missing some small stuff, but that the majority of it. In stock form with 10 psi, you will be very happy. Add an intercooler, methanol injection and a bigger turbo with 17 psi and you are at 400 wheel hp.

Jim

You can make about any amount of power you want out of a turbo L28. Tim Z over on Hybridz is making around 650 to the wheels. It cost big bucks to do it right though. 300 RWHP is doable with little more than junkyard parts if you find the right combination of parts and fuel delivery.