IGNORED

'Datsun Heritage Museum' interview clip

HS30-H

• 3 months later...
I'm sorry but the main source for this 'Datsun=good, Nissan=bad' mindset seems to be north America. A lot of it seems to be connected with all this "poor Mr K." type of thinking, and I can't help thinking that much of it is politicking and recrimination, and dirty washing being aired in public. All quite regrettable, really.

Alan T.

I have the same feeling. Please correct me if I´m wrong biased, but from both japanese and europeans working for Nissan I got the strong feeling of Nissan as the respected manufacture behind the Datsun labeled export models. By time, and with Datsun success in the main marked (USA) there is a Datsun nostalgia :love:

Datsun=good, and Nissan=bad hmm.. Very strange indeed - I guess it is positive Mr K is the father of the mystique Z then :beer:

Edited by GrandPrixGreen

But what I can't understand is how the production that this video clip was taken from actually made it as far as broadcast without being fully researched / edited / corrected. In fact, it's possible to hear the interviewer leading the interviewee into the mistakes. It quite simply should not have made it to air. It's as simple as that.

As I wrote in my first post, I think Fred Jordan could have been a little better prepared / rehearsed - but the interviewer must have had some kind of script that was already prepared ( even if it was only in his head ) and that's where the buck stops in this instance.

First of all, kudos and great job to Fred for the work he's done at the Datsun Museum. Getting in front of the camera like that can be intimidating and will make anyone nervous. The interviewer was obviously leading him and didn't prepare Fred for some of the questions before the camera started rolling.

It's easy to point out the flaws.

So, let's do this instead. Let's HELP these guys. Bobc's idea about sending money is a fine one, but, I'm sure not everybody here can afford it. So, how do we help these guys become better prepared for another interview in the future? Should we set up a forum for the Museum here? Some place where we can all discuss heritage of the Datsun? Donations can be accepted in the form of information....

m

This discussion revolves around an interview given by an older gentleman, and the patriarch of the DHM, who does not know about the car he is discussing.

Fred knows a lot about US Datsun/Nissan history, but to have him comment on a current vehicle was a mistake, and now a very publicized one that has been beaten to death.

The DHM is Fred's doing, and needs your support and not your critizism. Those of us on the BoD are working very hard to make it a great museum. If you have been there, you know that there are so many special items that you will not see anywhere else as this is the culmination of years of information. The life's work of several members of the board.

As for the Nissan Datsun discussion. The DHM supports both Nissan and Datsun vehicles, there are several examples of both. Currently it's primary focus is 1933 to 1983 Datsun vehicles. However, there are a few examples of later model Nissan vehicles as well.

We can argue the logic behind the Nissan/Datsun name issue but since we're really talking aobut marketing, logic has little place - marketing's primary appeal is to emotion.

Nissan US marketing was very successful building brand recognition and loyalty around the Datsun name here in the USA. Probably more successful then Nissan Japan really wanted. Lots of people (my mom included) thought that Datsun had been bought by Nissan and went shopping elsewhere because of the "uncertainty" over the new name. It was pretty cumbersome to see cars badged "Datsun/Nissan" for a year or two then "Nissan/Datsun" for another year or two, and then just 'Nissan."

Was the pain associated with name change worth it? I can't answer that.

Hey Everybody,

Could somebody please help me out? I'm so confused I don't

know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of anymore!

I always thought that Datsun is (I should say "was") a branch

of Nissan, in the same way as Buick is a branch of GM, or Dodge

is a branch of Chrysler Corp. By extension, the larger, parent

corporations have other branches or "divisions" under the

corporate umbrella. So then, when I say "Datsun," I'm addres-

sing but one division of the corporation and not the entire entity.

Am I way far off base here? HEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!............Rick

Who really cares ,its a nice car displaying what z's are meant to represent ,that is they are a cheap sports car available to the masses who want to indulge their fantasies of owning a more exotic mark,I have owned 2 x240s and place no importance on stock or modified, If they were of such calibre that they were not able to be improved upon then I guess you would be paying Ferrari prices?.To prove my point, Datsun never raced or rallied to many stock standard cars ie what 240z had 250 + hp from the show room.Lets just keep it all in perspective .

Who really cares? I care about how history goes down. Put in perspective - and becauase U are all right.. about your view and scenario - Datsun Heritage Museum must be correct, and most important - have a story to tell. This story can not be told by the latest american trend, or any stock or show-car.

The Datsun Heritage Museum 'is what it is' to use the modern colloquialism. The best thing to do is accept that rather than drudging up and old thread and beginning the arguement all over again. Or, more simply, as I said, sometimes it's just better to leave a sleeping thread alone.......