IGNORED

Stainless Steel Bumpers for 240Z

geezer

Well, if they are monitoring, the obvious thing to do is give them so much to monitor that the system fails.

A couple of years ago I was trying to find out what energy carrier was responsible for a misplaced power pole on a piece of my property, so I called all seven providers. Not one took responsibility. I registered a letter to all seven asking the same question, again with no answer. I registered a second letter stating since none of the legally organized power utilities in the area accepted responsibility, I would be cutting the pole down in one week. On the morning I showed up with a chainsaw, here was a Progress Power utility crew right behind me just in case they were too late!

We worked out where the pole was to be moved, and they moved it, explained that the NCDOT had given them incorrect information on the ownership of the land-that resulted in the poor pole placement, and apologized for the difficulty in determining ownership of the pole.

There are something like 1200 customers serviced by that pole. I would not have cut the pole down, but I would have visited the next house on the line and asked who the power bill came from.

Will

Pressure is not really the universal cure-all, but in some cases it shure gets results!

Edited by hls30.com

Actually the duty for repro parts for an old car is extremely reasonable.

I crossed the border on the Blackball ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria with at least $3000 USD worth of crap from a race shop for my '74 Bronco . They charged according to a list for the year, make and model . Mine came up at less than 4 percent . Why bother to hide any purchased items if it's going to be that cheap ? :paranoid:

Well, if they are monitoring, the obvious thing to do is give them so much to monitor that the system fail.

Spoken like someone who has not experienced the probing enquiries of a customs agent...nor the fact that they can seize the whole vehicle.

Spoken like someone who has not experienced the probing enquiries of a customs agent...nor the fact that they can seize the whole vehicle.

You got me there...but my container is still bigger than your container-tow container not withstanding! My only experience with Canadian customs is from a Molsen Golden Commercial where a border agent asks a truck driver: "What's behind the seat?" and the driver answers: "The whole rest of the truck."

My though was not to fill up a vehicle with taxable goodies, but to fill up a thread with talk of filling up cars with taxable goodies-kinda tough to seize a vehicle that is in Ga. from the Canadian border!

As with my power pole example, talk of an issue can be enough to cause an action-or more to the point an over reaction, an internet tiger so to speak.

That said, I have experieced port customs agents, it is what it is, and they say what it is-though if you happen to have researched ahead, and brought the pertinant pages of the OHTS with you, they can be persuaded if carefully and respectfully asked about them.

Will

Edited by hls30.com

Ron, how much do you have to pay in tax ??

Chris

As of now, 5% GST + 8% PST in ON. As of July 1, 2010 the two taxes will be combined and called RST, which will be a consumption tax paid by the end user. It is sure to cost us more and should be called RSTC (Really Screw The Consumer):paranoid:. Above and beyond that we are subject to import duties of varying amounts depending on the goods involved and country of origin.

Along those lines, a review of the HTS shows that the bumpers should be import taxed at 2.5%. At the instruction of the Office of Tariff Affairs and Trade Agreements,

US International Trade Commission, I have a call in to the local office of the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection to verify that the classification and rate I found are correct. I'll post that when it is verified.

Will

Ron, you shall be glad you are not here, we have to pay 10% in import tax also of the shipping and then on top of all we have to pa 25% sales tax of that total :ermm:

Chris

$1,100 for rechroming sounds expensive to me.

The bumper shop that I use charges $275 per bumper without custom work. That does include straightening and welding workable damage though.

I'm going to build my own stainless one piece bumpers for my car, because I can get the material to do it for a lot cheaper than it would cost for me to buy these.

I'm considering making mine from lighter gauge stainless for weight reduction.

Stainless steel of the same thickness will also resist damage far better and repair easier than any copper/nickel/chrome plated mild steel.

And how the stainless polishes out depends entirely on the person running the sanding and polishing equipment.

I restore cars for a living and I have to restore my own trim, because the turn around for most trim specialties is insane and the cost of chrome plating small parts (which most bumper shops will not do) is also an arm and a leg with horrible turn around time.

I'm considering offering it up for a service.

If I do end up getting the materials for this project soon, I'll post some pics. My friend will be CNC plasma cutting my patterns for this project. these bumpers should be relatively easy to make from flat stock within reason. We'll see.

Edited by DaveBonds

Dave,

Welcome to the club. I'd be interested to see what you can do.

When I contacted this company early last year, the price was just over $300 a bumper, but the parts were to ship from South Korea, and there were import issues to deal with. Now that the parts are bing shipped to the UK and then shipped out, I am sure the double shipping makes the difference.

I did not hear from my phone call late Friday, so tomorrow morning I will make another call, and verify the import tax rate.

Will