IGNORED

Refurbishing the Center Console

psdenno

I recently pulled the shift lever on my '71 240Z to replace bushings. While the console was out, I decided to clean it up and repair stress cracks and 38 years of abuse.

I got a new vinyl shift boot from MSA and reupholstered the hinged arm rest that I had installed in about 1972. I fiberglassed the underside of the console below stress cracks that were visible on the top side. Next, I filled the surface cracks with two part epoxy putty. I brushed away excess putty with a tooth brush so it wouldn't fill the grained surface.

I tried a couple brands of paint before finding one that had the correct satin finish - $1.98 at True Value Hardware. The $8 a can name brand I tried first just wasn't right.

Finally, I scrubbed the panel that holds the rear window defogger switch and surrounds the choke cable handle. The silver edging on the panel was long gone and I knew I'd have a difficult time trying to paint it. Instead of paint, I used a silver Sharpie pen. By dragging the edge of the pen along the raised areas of the panel, the silver highlight was easily restored.

Pictures can be seen at :

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/album.php?albumid=177

Dennis

This looks just awesome! I may have a weekend project soon.

It turned out to be easier than I anticipated. Using the Sharpie for the silver trim works best if you do the inner boxes around the choke handle first and the raised outer edge of the entire panel last.

Dennis

When you used the silver Sharpie, id it look smooth like paint, or did you see anything that looked like brush marks?

thxZ

Totally smooth as if it had been pressed on in one stroke with a paint pad.

I used a sharp point, not the wedge point, Sharpie and held it horizontal to the ridge being highlighted. Then it was just a matter of lightly dragging the side of the point along the ridge. I paint model cars about as well as a five year old, so I didn't want to use a color source that could run, drip, or leave brush marks. I think the Sharpie cost about $2.50 at the local craft store. I'm sure they are also available at places like Staples, Office Max, or Walmart.

Dennis

Wow!!! Looks terrific.

SEM has the best paint for interior pieces IMO. But it is a little expensive

I'm not sure how my $1.98 "plastic lawn furniture" paint will hold up, but with a couple coats it had a very acceptable finish. Thanks for the "Wow!!!". :)

My console was rather grey and other black bits in the interior rather dull from 26 years of storage. Even after several good cleanings they just wern't 'black'. Not wanting to spray anything or use chemicals, there had to be something else.

While at a dollar store I spotted a sale on black "Kiwi" shoe polish, 2fer1. Carnuba wax and pigment. It was worth a shot.

I started with the rocker covers to see if it worked. Applied like you would to shoes. It really made them look like new. Did the original door and hatch seals, welt, seatbelt covers, console, fuse cover, stearing cover, horn pad, everything black except the glove box cover and uncracked dash. :)

I'm pleased with the way it turned out but will see how long it lasts before I do the dash and glove box. I knew I should of taken photos before and after. :stupid:

Bonzi Lon