IGNORED

RB30 in a 240Z

zr240

Hi all,

Ivan >> the intake manifold that I’m using a factory one, it is standard only on the RB26DETT - all of the other RB engines have the air intake crossing over the valve covers (making the intercooler plumbing harder, messier and longer, which raises bonnet clearances issues also in a zed).

There are several aftermarket intake manifolds which replace the RB manifolds (and are forward facing like the RB26DETT) available such as Greedy (by Trust). Here is a picture of a manifold which is non factory on the RB26DETT (but not a Greedy one)

Points to note:

In this picture they have removed the factory individual throttle bodies set up (as used on the RB26DETT, aimed at sharper throttle response etc.) and have gone to a single large one. This is common in Japan, as not all aftermarket ECUs have the provision to run the multiple throttle bodies set up. (I personally wouldn’t do that, there are several ECU that can do the job, such as Autronic and Motec as well as others)

Don’t get tempted (as others have done) to modify your RB25DET intake manifold by just welding up the intake which crosses the valve covers and repositioning the throttle body to the front. This will give incorrect air flow to each cylinder (favour some over others) and will result in detonation, which we all know is not all that healthy for the engine’s life!!!

The RB26DETT intake manifold has ‘curves’ on the inside which is designed to direct air to each cylinder and also tapers towards the back.

post-1898-14150792207531_thumb.jpg

that's very helpfull, it just so happens my intake is currently stopping my bonnet from closing by about 15mm, didn't want to have to redo the engine mounts. any idea on what price these aftermarket intakes are?

Hi all,

Sorry Ivan I do not know the part numbers for the 200zr bits that you are looking for, I would think that the Nissan dealers in Australia be confused if you asked them about 200zr parts anyway!!!

I made my own engine mounts by modifying the factory aluminium GTR ones. For the oil sump I modified an RB30DET (from a Holden VL Commodore) and also had to modify the oil pick up so that it goes into the deep end of the sump!!!

The reason that I used the RB30DET oil sump as a base to modify is that it fits onto the RB26DETT block (the GTR engine blocks are double drilled to take all the RB sumps)

You should be able to just use your RB25DET oil sump and modify that one to clear the steering rack (I couldn't use the RB26DETT one because they have the front drive shafts coming out of it, the GTR is 4WD remember?)

A very good trick for the oil pick up is to tap it with a screwdriver and make a V indent into it, this will ensure that the engine does not starve of oil if you were to be unlucky and bottom out and crush your sump at any stage.

Good luck.

Hi all,

Here is a picture of two GTR oil sumps.

The top one has been modified for extra oil capacity. Note the front diff and drive shaft flanges!!!

btw guess what is going to happen to my RB26DETT zed when I get some more money???

4wd RB26DETT 240Z hhhmmm that would be nice, very nice!!!

post-1898-14150792207963_thumb.jpg