IGNORED

How to remove the flywheel???

I'm replacing the clutch on my '73 and I'm looking for advice in removing the flywheel. I've done it before using very primal techniques. This time I want to try something less savage. Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

---Chris

Hi Chris:

I'm sure you know what you mean - but I have to say that I an not sure I understand what it is that you are asking.

Can you be more specific... exactly what did you do the first time?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Here is what I do to get the flywheel loose.

Once the clutch is off use a piece of metal with 2 holes and place it where the red line is hand tighten the bolts back up.Then remove the center flywheel bolts. The piece of metal will stop the flywheel from turning. This way is easy and quick.

P.S. Pic used from the net.

post-9867-1415080712786_thumb.jpg

Can't access eBay from work but I am sure it is the same one all the guys on the 510 forum are laughing about on the bay right now :) Ridiculoso!!!

Edit: 5:08- Yup.... That's the one

Edited by five&dime

I just used a 6 point socket on a breaker bar and a 3 lb. dead blow hammer. Engine compression was enough resistance on the flywheel with the impact. All bolts came out fine without and scarring of the heads.

Thanks! Seems like the impact wrench (air ratchet) is the way to go. I've also heard re-inserting one of the tranny bolts and using a prybar into the teeth of the flywheel will keep the motor from turning. I will try that first before I purchase the impact wrench. I am also faced with a replacement tranny that has a stripped out drain plug (!) which may be solved with the impact ratchet as well. May have to make a trip to Harbor Freight.

Thanks again!

---Chris