IGNORED

Engine ID

texasz

I know we have discussed determining what car an engine came from and how it is impossible based upon many many factors. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me ROUGHLY where this engine may have come from? The number on it is 2776.

Story is that the guy sold the car it came out of a 2-3 years ago, the person who bought the car was supposed to come back and get the engine and tranny yet never did. Fast forward to last weekend, I went and bought it from the guy who was tired of tripping over it in his garage. He told me that the VIN on the car it came from (the one he sold 2-3 years ago) was in the 300s. Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

It seems reasonable that engine #2776 would have been in a car with a VIN in the 300's (most likely higher 300's), although there was a lot of variance, especially with the early cars. Take a look at the Z car register information on Zhome.com. HLS30-00387 has engine #2746. I had HLS30-00331 and it had engine #2585. I kept the engine from that car, but I doubt I will ever use it.

-Mike

There doesn't appear to be a lot of correlation between VINs and engine numbers. For example, my VIN is 00721 while my engine number is 3295. Go figger.

Frank

Yep, that's about what the answer is every time this topic comes up. From Mike's post and the info you gave though it does seem to fit that this engine did come from a very low VIN Z car which is really all I wanted to know...again it makes no difference I was just curious.

I'll muddy the waters some more. HLS30-00110 built 12/69 has engine #2796 on the shock tower plaque. Not in close sequence to others of this age. From what I have read that if a car had a problem of quality on the line it was removed and repaired to specs later. The plaque (with engine #) did not get added until everything was in good working order and was then passed as OK.

Bonzi Lon