IGNORED

Anyone have experience polishing plastic?

adamr

Does anyone have experience polishing/buffing black plastic such as the plastic heater control knobs, interior trim, ashtrays, etc? I have some old parts that look like they might clean up nicely, but need more than Simple Greenand a tooth brush. Thanks for your input.

adamr

Finesse-it 2 works well. It is made by 3M (05982). It is a finishing compound used for machine wheeling paint, but I use it to bring back the luster on plastic by hand polishing. You can remove imperfections and scratches first by wet sanding, graduating up to 1500 or finer grit before polishing. Be carefull not to obliterate the fine detail & original texture of the parts you are working on. Do a few test pieces to see what results you will achieve. There are dozens of equally good products available that will do the job, but Finesse-it 2 is my favorite. I do subsequent follow up cleanings when needed with a mist & polish with some Dunlop 65 that I buy at the music store. It's a cleaner/polish all in one formula developed for guitar cleaning that works really well.

Edited by geezer

I have found that Meguiar's plastic cleaner. There are 3 separate bottles and it is a three step process . #17 then #10 followed by #18. I have used it on my tail light lenses as well as on the turn signal lenses. I am vary happy with the results. Inside and out of my cars. I had thought I was going to need new lenses for the turn signals but they came back to a fine shine. If you use a electric buffer, just be careful not to over heat the surface just the same as you would paint when buffing it. This stuff is NOT for painted surfaces.

Gary

I have found that Meguiar's plastic cleaner. There are 3 separate bottles and it is a three step process . #17 then #10 followed by #18. I have used it on my tail light lenses as well as on the turn signal lenses. I am vary happy with the results. Inside and out of my cars. I had thought I was going to need new lenses for the turn signals but they came back to a fine shine. If you use a electric buffer, just be careful not to over heat the surface just the same as you would paint when buffing it. This stuff is NOT for painted surfaces.

Gary

I thought you could only use that kit on clear plastics. Guess not huh?

Thanks! I was able to get the desired shine/sheen with light 2000 grit and the Meguires 1 step plastic polish. Yes, the instructions for this product only refer to clear plastic, but it worked well.

• 10 months later...

Mothers with a buff-ball takes most discolor and oxidation away. On the clear stuff people have asked if I took the plastic out. They are funny :D I just wish they would not try to touch the gauge every car show I've done if the window was down I have a finger print on the plastic:rolleyes: