IGNORED

The Amelia Experience - Making the Event

Carl Beck

Carl,

Congratulations on breaking the barrier at Ameilia Island. It is probably the 2nd most difficult event to be invited to and for your fine Z example to be included was a very good selection. The memories of receiving the official invitation, meeting people like Chip Foose, hearing all of the stories and memories that the viewers share about their Z experiences is priceless.

Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your personal stories.

Well done!

Bob Speights

Carl,

Had a great time meeting and speaking to everyone in person! Great to see your Z in person on both days...the Saturday afternoon was fun since the lawn was basically empty and the fog was starting to roll in for supper.

Sunday morning was a completely different experience..ran out of battery for the camera and just plain exhausted from information overload. There were so many cars and stories to collect.

Within minutes of walking onto the green I was standing within two feet of Bob Tullius and listening to one of his great stories involving a dog with teeth and of course race cars!

"NO - someone showed up with a Dayton Coupe - prehaps the best example of the design. It is planned to be sold in the next couple of months and they expect it to sell in the $10M to $12M range."

Carl,

Is this the car you are talking about? It was promoted for the RM auction at Amelia. 1963 AC Cobra 289 - first Cobra entered at LeMans - did not sell at high bid of $790,000 with expectations between $1,000,000 and $1,400,000.

post-4148-14150806510565_thumb.jpg

No not that one. He was talking about this one. It was a nice car but I didn't think it was the best race car in its class but who am I to say. I'm just a Z fan. Like I told Carl at least you got beat buy another Peter Brock car. :love:

Had that car not been there Carl would have won.

post-9867-14150806510838_thumb.jpg

post-9867-14150806511075_thumb.jpg

post-9867-14150806511308_thumb.jpg

post-9867-14150806511763_thumb.jpg

Carl,

Very nice. I must have missed something on that trailer thread. You apparently found one? Looks like you bought new? What is it and if you don't mind what did it cost?

Hi Rob:

Yes - I bought a Freedom brand 8.5'x20' enclosed, V-Nose. Found a local Dealer that would meet the Internet Pricing. $4095.00 plus $200.00 shipping to Tampa, Fla. With Sales Tax and Tag etc. it was about $4698.00 out the door.

Strong full box triple tong and frame, 1" x 1.5" steel tubing welded upper structure. 3/4" plywood floor, 5/8's side walls. Load ramp with 16" extension, 4 5000lb tie downs...

For the price it's a pretty good trailer for the money - towed very stable...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck
Oops..wrongPost

Carl,

Had a great time meeting and speaking to everyone in person! Great to see your Z in person on both days...the Saturday afternoon was fun since the lawn was basically empty and the fog was starting to roll in for supper.

Hi Bob:

It was great getting to meet you and your wife - finally in the physiclal world. Likewise - several of the Z Car nuts I've gotten to know only in the virtual world of the Internet. I'm only sorry that the activities of the Event keep me too busy to spend the time I would like to have had with everyone in person.

It is an event that really should last two days at least. So many wonderful cars, so little time to see them. Anyway, I'm glad you could make this year. Surrounded by so many Ferraris and Porsches it was good to have some Z People around!!LOL

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Bob:

It was great getting to meet you and your wife - finally in the physiclal world. Likewise - several of the Z Car nuts I've gotten to know only in the virtual world of the Internet. I'm only sorry that the activities of the Event keep me too busy to spend the time I would like to have had with everyone in person.

It is an event that really should last two days at least. So many wonderful cars, so little time to see them. Anyway, I'm glad you could make this year. Surrounded by so many Ferraris and Porsches it was good to have some Z People around!!LOL

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks again! Levette really enjoyed herself and was very disappointed to have flown home Sunday morning and next year...can we hope for a second appearance?...we hope to spend a bit more time. Instead of tooling around in a Mustang (reason for the trip was to bring the Bullitt back to his sleepy little garage) we plan to be tooling around in one of the old Z cars.

Hi Carl,

Chip Foose is a really nice guy. On the (south) west coast we see him a little more often :) He is a regular at Cars and Coffee in Irvine.

Nice to meet tallented people in the public eye that are down to earth and pleasant to talk to.

Again, looks like you had a wonderful time. I guess someone needs to step up on the west coast for the Monterey Historics. I am working on getting a race car into the event...Are there any others trying? Bueller, Bueller??