IGNORED

Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing

hls30.com

Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing

• Reproduction parts "suck the sweat from a..."
    • Reproduction parts enable me to restore my car.
    • Reproduction parts are cheaters tools
    • Reproduction parts fill in the blanks I could not find.
    • Reproduction parts lower the value of my original parts
    • Reproduction parts are acceptable alternatives to NLA unobtanium parts.
    • Reproduction parts could be in better shape than my original parts.
    • Reproduction parts mean I can finish my project.
    • Reproduction Parts intrduce unfair competition into the stock class of carshows.
    • Reproduction parts even the playing field and allow greater competition in the stock class
    • I spent copious amounts of time and money to get my original parts.
    • Paint, air in the tires, weather stripping, fluids are all reproduction parts-whats the big deal?
    • using Any reproduction parts is cheating.
    • Using reproduction parts lowers the costs of restoration
    • Using reproduction parts cheepens the hobby!

What do you think about reproduction parts that are indistinguishable from originals. Are they an invaluable aid to enabling the proper and complete restoration of a Z, or a form of infection, oozing the worst of humanity, and a scourge on the hobby?

What reproduction parts are acceptable to use, and what makes them so?

What makes other reproduction parts unacceptable to use?

Will

Edited by hls30.com

I think as long as they work (fit) and have not been mis-represented they can be a good thing depending on the application. If you have a rare Z, early, I would think you would want to stick with NOS. The plus side is they are generally less money.

Any reproduction piece that makes my car look or perform better is OK in my book. Reproduction parts are a nessesary means for many of us to replace missing or less than visually appealing parts. The supply of NOS is drying up at a remarkable rate and the NOS rare parts that are available are priced so high as to make reproductions more feasible. Bring them on. The more reproductions available, the better the pricing will be. All the fake Mona Lisas in the world haven't brought down the price of the original, have they? If you want to play the 100% original game, thats up to you, but nobody can dictate or stop anyone from bettering their cars with the use of reproduction parts.

Like Ron said, they're necessary for replacing missing or damaged pieces. Few of us will ever enter a Concours type show, so whether or not it's a NOS or reproduced piece doesn't matter. We just want to make our cars whole again.

I don't know what the big beef is. Up until now, new replacement parts have been readily available at the Nissan or eBay parts counter. Many, many parts are still available and will be for some time. Try that with your restoration of a 1925 Franklin Runabout. Come-on guys. Reproducing parts is part of the game. Usually it is far more time consuming and costly to restore or reproduce a part than it is to go to the Nissan or eBay parts counter and buy it.

Will didn't post my answer: reproduction is a good thing and I have tried to practice reproduction every day for the past fourty years.

"suck the sweat from a..."????

A therapist might have a field day with you...

Other than that, I plead the 26th...well said.

I watched "Good Morning Vietnam" while getting caught up with email/posts/stuff-I typed the quote from the movie, it ended, "I have no idea what that means, sir, but it seams very negative to me."

...A therapist would have a field day with me...if she was a good looking babe:laugh:! Otherwise, pass!

Chris, "well, I never", and yes, that is part of the problemROFL!

Will

Like Ron said, they're necessary for replacing missing or damaged pieces. Few of us will ever enter a Concours type show, so whether or not it's a NOS or reproduced piece doesn't matter. We just want to make our cars whole again.

Some may think it crazy but it cost me 110 dollars each for 2 reproduction throttle knobs.That includes my donation to the club but I was glad to get them at any price.If there were no reproduction knobs what else could I do.My Z will never be in a concourse show but it looks great to me.

post-9811-14150806476722_thumb.jpg

post-9811-14150806476917_thumb.jpg