IGNORED

Total Rookie Question re: engine

mally002

I have a block on an engine stand in the garage and have a real noob question....(I rank low on the mechanical side ).

It has been serving just as an art piece but I thought I might take it apart and clean the inside. I was going to start by removing all the bolts you see pictured or is that the wrong starting point. I may one day use this block so I also want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. Also, as it sits should the pistons be able to move by pushing on them? Because these won't budge.

So, any advice.

Thanks,

Randy

post-13312-1415080646545_thumb.jpg

post-13312-1415080646585_thumb.jpg

Most prominent rebuilders I know would keep all of the rod caps as well as journal caps together with there original mate surface. If you were going to clean it for astetic porposes I would clean with break cleaner and then throw a light coating of WD-40 to help keep the rust at bay. I would Just leave it alone untill you really do need it. You may even lose a part you really, REALLY need at a later time. Just my thoughts, It is in the end your motor.

I agree with Kirk. Unless you're ready to rebuild that thing, I'd leave it assembled. Hitting the pistons with some WD-40 or ATF and letting it soak should free up the rings from the cylinder wall. You should be able to turn it over with the spark plugs out (looks like the heads off anyway) via the crank pulley bolt. Once rotating, this will allow you to get into some of the deeper nooks and crannies for cleanup. If you do decide to yank it apart, mark the main caps and the rod and rod end caps with a number or center punch so you can put everything back exactly the way it came out. You'll also want to put the bearings back in exactly as they came out if you're planning on using the engine without rebuilding the bottom end, so devise find a way (not a punch) to keep those in order as well. That said, I would probably replace the bearings if I planned on using the engine after reassembly.

You probably won't be able to turn it by pushing on a piston. You will probably need to put a socket or wrench on the crank bolt and you should not have much trouble turning it from there. Just watch your timing chain is it still in there can't really see everything in the picture.

Put a long-handled socket wrench on the front crank bolt.........you should be able to rotate the crank and watch the pistons move........after that you'll be "hooked". Wow......That's a really low number.....Is that the engine from the early Z you bought Randy?

Yes,

It's from number 797, production date is 1/70.....missed the "69" club by one month.

Thanks for the tips, I eventually want to get this rebuilt and put it back in.

What are you going to put in it now then?

-Mike

When I bought the car last year it was in wonderful running condition, but it had another block from a 71 240. The seller still had the original block so I picked it up a few weeks later. I guess there really is no reason to replace it yet, but in the future it would be nice to have it back in.