IGNORED

Which radiator?

Jeff G 78

I have searched on different sites and have been unable to get a straight answer, so I will ask here. My 30+ year old radiator needs to be replaced and I am trying to decide between the MSA 3-row copper/brass radiator and having a custom aluminum radiator built. The MSA radiators are on sale right now for $180 + about $30 shipping. A local radiator shop will build me a radiator that fits like OEM for between $225 and $300. Once they see it, they will know better, but I did give them the size.

My question is this: Which is better for cooling? I have heard some people say AL is better and others say copper/brass is better. Assuming the AL price is on the low end of the estimate, it comes down to which would be the better radiator. If they say it's closer to $300 then I would likely go with the MSA one.

I see AL ones on ebay all the time for $200 + shipping, but they are all made with trans coolers and I'd rather not waste that cooling volume since I don't need it. Also, I have no way of knowing if they are going to fit or cool. The local shop came highly recommended and I know the MSA radiator is a quality part that will fit.

So, which would you buy? Is there any weight savings with the AL over the brass?

Edited by Jeff G 78
fixed typos

All I can add to this is that when my OEM radiator finally died, I replaced it with another OEM style Modine radiator. I've driven my car in Southern California 100+ degree summers with no cooling problems and it's air conditioned. Weight savings? On a 280Z? I don't think I'd use that as a consideration but it's still your choice.

Aluminum Radiators are prone to cracking from vibration. They must be mounted in such a way that any chasis flex/vibrations can be absorbed by the insulation between them and the mounting location. The radiator John spoke of has an aluminum core and plastic tanks-I will be using the same one in my car(modified turbo installation)- it does require an insulated mounting scheme-not the simple four bolts that the OEM Brass version uses.

Aluminum radiators should be cradled in a rubber/foam insulator on the bottom, and captivated from the top with insulated(rubber or foam) brackets.

Give this a read-specifically the part about ALuminum radiators...

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf

Will

P.S. If your car is stock, and you want to keep the simplest installation, use the OEM style three or four row.

Like Will said it must have support and if you want OEM go with the 3 or 4 row. I chose the JTR due to the fact it was more cost effective and I had the mounting brackets made at my job. I was able to fab everything from the garage and a few extra parts from the local pick and pull. If you want to go with the JTR radiator just PM me and I can send you all the diagrams and info to get it mounted.