IGNORED

1971 Datsun 240 Z near perfect - $19900 (san jose downtown)

=Enigma=

Anyone know who belongs to this Z? Kinda hard to tell what condition it's in with the few pics that were provided. The engine compartments look pretty clean anyway.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/1051720835.html

Apparently someone doesn't know what the 71 hubcaps looked like.

Quote: "original hub caps", "All original, no modifications true stock".

I don't think so........

Hard to say from here. Pictures make it appear that all the stuff that should be cad plated under the hood have been painted gold. And the console is not for a '71 either, so maybe the hubcaps are correct and it's really a '72?

I'm betting it's 72 mfg in late 71 and the seller is just going by the date on the door plate. I wish there were more pictures, but I have to say that if it is a 72, that price is a little steep, frame off resto or not. Which brings up an interesting question.....how do you do a "frame off resto" on a unibody car anyway...... LOL Oh wait, it says "frame on resto".....Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Perhaps someone on the East coast would be willing to pay this amount for a clean rust free (if it is in fact rust free) California car.

I agree with you Arne, that "cad" looks too much like gold paint. We've seen that a few times recently but without quality pics it's too hard to tell.

Edited by =Enigma=

I think that he is pricing it pretty optimistically, but not that much. If the inside is perfect, and the underside is perfect, then I could see him getting 15000 for this example if its all this clean. Although the gold paint does make me wonder where else shortcuts have been taken.

AS the years roll on, the price of the 70-73 Z's will pick up. The 73's may be hampered by the carbs a little, but I see no reason why the 72 would not start picking up speed eventually.

the CL photos were really too small to get any real idea, but the larger ones really let you get in there...

The fuel rail appears to be painted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the plastic insulator that separates the rail from head support (by the fuel pump) shouldn't be gold.

post-11908-14150806295375_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150806320383_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150806321004_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150806321601_thumb.jpg

Edited by zbane

After looking at the larger pics that Zbane posted, I agree with Enigma, the car is probably a very early '72 with a 1971 manufacture date. Along with the previously-mentioned console and hubcaps, there is also the AM/FM radio and the the cigarette lighter in the dash that shed even more light on the fact that it's probably not a '71 model year car.

If someone is trying to get a premium price for this car why would they only list it locally? Why not list the car on Ebay so the entire world can see the car? And by the way, I agree, the gold paint looks cheesy.

All in all, it looks to be pretty clean and might be worth 10-12k for someone who didn't want to do a refresh themselves, but it's still a fairly nice example of the 1st gen Datsun Z car. Honestly, I hope he get's close to what he's asking for as it only helps drive up the resale value of our own cars. Unfortauntely, it can also drive up the cost of the parts.... :(

I went to their website http://www.checkeredflagclassics.com and magnified some of the pictures. It looks like the dash has been "capped" as teh glove box lid is a different color. The steering wheel has been covered so the wood is not showing. In spection lid over the battery is not straight and the stickers in the engine compartment look to be missing. It's a nice retoration, but I don't think it's worth $19K

Funny, they linked all of the mini pics on their site to the same JPG. I was able to get to them the same way you were presumably. Here's some direct links.

The carb linkage, emission devices, fuel rail, repair light, oil pressure sensor, coolant junction tube, hood latch and crank pulley are definitely painted gold. Look at the MC caps for a comparison and note the painted over screws on one of the emission devices(don't know the name). The valve cover is painted as well and it looks like they may have painted it in place. Check the valve cover screws and the engine hoist bracket. It also appears that the fenders were mounted when painted. I assume this is not standard practive for full restoration.

The interior looks great with new seat covers and new carpets, but I can't tell if that's a full dash cap or the original. It definitely didn't discolor at the same rate as the glovbox if it is. Are those paint chips on the edge of the hood, paint runs or a little of both?

I'd love to see pics of the undercarriage. This is looking more and more like a dress up job to me, making it even more difficult to gauge a proper price. I bet we see this posted again at lower price in a few months unless someone gets suckered.....

http://www.checkeredflagclassics.com/uploads/71_1.JPG

http://www.checkeredflagclassics.com/uploads/71_2.JPG

http://www.checkeredflagclassics.com/uploads/71_3.JPG

http://www.checkeredflagclassics.com/uploads/71_4.JPG

Edited by =Enigma=