IGNORED

Somethin Special

Hello there!

I am honored too of found such an awesome forum that I shall be digging through for months! I can only hope that I can bring a wealth of mistakes and errors others can learn from and help the forum grow!

My Name is Alex and I am a very lucky complete newbie.

When I say Newbie, I mean I have some basic car knowledge, I could probably point and explain to you what each part in a car is and its function but with some minor difficulty. I've changed tires and oil by myself! Woohoo! :eek:

I will be learning everything from scratch about restoring and fine tuning.. but I am passionate. I have been reading, researching, youtubing, like crazy in the last couple of weeks now that summer is approaching and my other hobby will be placed on hold.

Before I explain the luck. Let me explain the family history.

Since I was very little I remember flipping through photo albums of pictures of Z's and muscle cars in the garage, driveway, and I eyed with envy how much fun he had. Out of all the cars I liked his Z the best. Hearing the stories of my young dad learning how to fix cars the good times with his rich friend, racing together brings emotions I cannot explain.

I have always wanted a Z car to do the things that he did with his friend

( which I do not think he knows ) The thoughts of best buddies swapping parts, swear words, and tears causes me to beam pride, and the history and rareness to boot! When I think that my dad was apart of that Generation. I cant help but think how lucky he was.

After 5 years of racing, interests changed, family's intervened and so on.

My dads cars were sold ( chargers, 240Z's, Tbirds). But Walter couldn't part with his Z. He threw a heavy duty cover over his Orange 72 Baby and parked it in front of his driveway for the next 30+ years in Mountain View.

He would religiously start it up every couple of months and kept driving mildly to keep it maintained. A religous log of repairs, upgrades, and so on.

Last year his health failed and he passed away. Sometime during that year he suggested selling his Baby to my dad. They agreed on a price but he just couldn't part with his rocket and changed his mind.

Walters sweet.. awesome.. incredible.. amazing.. gorgeous.... super dooper wife offered my Dad the Z for the same price they had agreed apon months before. Dad has given the car to me!

I am now the very proud, owner of a Z car. I will not be one of those posters that pretends they know what the heck they are talking about. Quite the opposite so patience be advised!

The engine is of a 280. I plan on repairing the interior, figuring out how in the hell the incredible carburetors get tuned, and repairing the paint.

I currently have no pictures but as the weather calms down I promise to post many!

Edited by ExtremZlucky

Welcome to the z madness! You've got a great story to go with the car, I imagine your father will enjoy working on it with you (even if it's more you working, him telling you stories)

Get those pics up (we like pictures :) ) and make use of that search function-it'll keep you reading for days on end (great for when the weather isn't cooperative)

Welcome, it's kinda like an infectous diseaze, the Z bug, once it gets ahold of you, it will have its way. Welcome to a great journey of repairing a great car and let other appreciate what we all know.

Be sure to use the "search" feature and then if you can not find your ultimate answer just ask. There is some extremely talented and knowledgeable folks on this site. There is no way at all I could have transformed my car with-out the help of this site.

My father as well has helped me pittle with my car two years ago in the summer (my garage is too cold for him in the winter) and it has been some great time spent for us.

Keep us posted with pictures and good luck.

Welcome to the z madness! You've got a great story to go with the car, I imagine your father will enjoy working on it with you (even if it's more you working, him telling you stories)

Exactly - what good are kids if you can't use themLOL There is nothing I like more than working on my Z when my son is here to help.LOL

I figure that if he puts enough work into it - he'll appreciate it more when it's his anyway.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Another diZeaZe victim arrives. Congrats. It sound like the Z fell into the right hands.

Assuming you have round top Hiitiachis on the 2.8 our JUST SUs DVD will walk you through tuning and cleaning etc. www.ztherapy.com

LOL This shameless plug for an awsome product gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks for that Bruce. :) Seriously though, the Just SUs DVD is highly recommended. He's got some other great products as well. Definitely check out his site.

Thank you guys so much for the warm response. I'm very excited and its just getting worse. I spent all my breaks at work reading "Petersens Basic Carburetion and fuel systems" book. Just so I can better understand the basics of how a carburetor works LOL.

Assuming you have round top Hiitiachis on the 2.8 our JUST SUs DVD will walk you through tuning and cleaning etc. www.ztherapy.com

I may have gotten those carburetors along with a ton of spare parts. Hmm.. that video might be a damn good investment seeing as how I havnt tuned ANYTHING before.

I dont know how similar they are to the Solex/Mikuni Carbs that are already installed. But it could definitely help if I end up putting the stock ones back on.

As for the search button on the forum It has been an asset!! ( works way better then previous ones i have used) I belong to a falconry forum that I was a moderator for many years so believe me when I say I understand the gold is hidden and written in the pages. Only by Panning will you get results.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. It rained all day today and It was dark by the time I got home from work.

Edited by ExtremZlucky

As promised here are some pictures. The sky opened up for an hour. Let me tell you.. 40mph winds and dark stormy clouds in the background but you would of never known by the pictures.

Front.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

I was told by a restorer ( of other cars not Z's) that in this picture there might of been a repair made. He's leaning on a good 90% that this is an original paint job. When we got the car last year the paint was highly oxidized. ( didnt know what the hell I was doing) and waxed it the best I could. I have since then found out I should of done differently.

Backside2.jpg

Now here's something confusing. I have always been told its a 72 by my Dad. Hell it even says it. ( Yes I know Its wicked :P )

Backside.jpg

ZID.jpg

But today when taking pictures I noticed it says 10/71 ???

I called my dad and asked him why he calls it a 72? He said because Walter always called it that and also something to do with how late in the year it was made Datsun marketed it as a 72?

* Crosses fingers*

oO( Maybe he secretly came up with another identity so others would be less inclined to rear end him in jealousy? )

Driverside2.jpg

( Aircraft harness seat belts? Passenger side only has leg no shoulders. )

Driveside.jpg

( Ah oh.. how bad is the rust? I see small splotches coming up underneath the upholstery which will have to be replaced )

Driver.jpg

Last year I pulled the carpet because it was absolutely baked to a crisp after 30 years under a tarp.

It was gross.. it was like baked mud.. But after reading the forum I guess I would of had to do that to look for rust anyway LOL. All I see is the paint? I cant take more specific pictures later. However I was doing this very quickly because of the sun and the pouring of rain in the background.

Edited by ExtremZlucky