IGNORED

How to make your new Z faster!!

Daniel

Boy! that seems to be the most popular"new to Z question" and there is nothing wrong with that.Please allow me to present a question that is seldomed ask but very important.How do I make it STOP!! Those that have been restoring cars awhile know the true meaning to that question.The excitement of a new cool car is quite a pump!Please remember, these brake systems are OLD!Hoses rot,lines clog,of course Z rear wheel cylinders leak etc.,somewhere a guy turned those rotors just one time to many. Wanna swap/rebuild a motor,cool,wanna risk your family,yourself and of course last, your money and efforts by thinking,rebuild a brake system that seems to be fine or those carbs and that header???Hmmmmm???Remember once upon a time passenger side airbag was optional.Imagine today telling your wife "Honey,If we don't get the airbag for your side,we can get the cassette player!!!!Be safe. Daniel

I had my entire brake system rebuilt to stock specs: new rotors, rebuilt wheel cylinders, new master cyclinder, new master vac hoses, and new flexible brake lines. It's pricey: $280 in parts, $50 to have everything turned down, plus labor (unless you do it yourself, which I was too lazy to do). But the ability to stop a car is more important than making it go fast.

Pricey?? $330.00 will bring home alot of new/reman 240z brake parts within a 10 mile radius of ones house. I wonder how many 240 front end body parts would follow you home?Truth is I'm lazy.Quality brake parts are here now.Body parts would take a whole lot more effort to acquire! Have fun!! Daniel

There are several paths to stopping better.. You can stay stock with a better set of pads and shoes and stop a little better, you can use the Toyota calipers and stop much better, or you can buy one of the very expensive, but fantastic 4 wheel disk systems and stop like a real race car.... It's just a matter of how much you can spend... I also found that if you know the limitations of your brakes real well,,,, you can stay within their limits, (most of the time ) and survive... Isn't that what brakes are for???