IGNORED

Battery cold cranking amp rating

fuzze

Evening all and happy new year . A year to the date on new years eve I started up my 71 240 after putting back all the required parts . Man did it ever sound nice after a year of sleeping , although I did have to pull the battery out of my Pathfinder to get her up and running . My question is what is the recommended battery cranking amperage that I should be looking for when I go to purchase new this weekend as well as thoughts on maintenance free verses the old standard type

Thanxz

Chris

As a general rule you should just get the most cranking amps you can afford. Just make sure the battery fits. And go with a standard, maintenance free one. You could go with an Optima-type, but I've never dealt with one of those and they are different so unless you know what you're doing I'd just recommend an Interstate/Autolite/etc.

I put an Optima battery in mine, but only because I was told that they are sealed and do not leak. Every other battery that I have ever owned always weeps just a little acid out of the top while it is charging, and my poor old Z just doesn't need any more corrosion.

One thing that I will warn you about the Optima batteries, is that when you let them run down they draw an enormous amount of current when you go to recharge them. It always pegs my 10A battery charger.

Interstate batteries are the Best, in my humble opinion. Others will argue with me here but the Interstate battery is usually Underated. My last one was a 60 month battery that lasted for 108 months and 3 different cars. Keep in mind that I run Hi amp stereo systems, H4's, fog lights and other accessories that will drain an inferior battery quickly.

Go to the local battery shop that carries Interstate batteries and tell them your make and model and tell them you only want interstate. They'll give you the right one and it should be about 750 Cold Cranking Amps.

If you run an Optima battery dead, your best bet it to throw that $200 battery in the garbage. They won't full charge again after being drained like that. Interstate will.

Dave.

I went up one side and down the other on the quest for a battery about two years ago.... considered all options mentioned thus far (which are accurate as far as I know), but when all was said and done, after I weighed in the "cost" factor, I went with the MAXX at WalMart. They are maintenance free. Size: 24N (they will most likely have one on the shelf.... check the configuration of your existing posts to assure that this will be correct for your current set-up, etc.) CCAs are listed as 700 @ 0*F & 875 @ 32*F. Also, if you haven't done it yet, consider new battery cables - NAPA can set you up with a good set for about $20.00, and what a difference that made for me... it chased out a lot of electrical gremlins that I had been trying to eliminate for several years. Just my opinion FWIW..... worked well for me. (While replacing the battery I noticed that the old one was a MAXX as well & it had been in there for about 8 or so years...)

Ditto on the MAXX. I've had one in my s130 for a couple years now, and have had no problems cranking even when it was near 0 (yes, it does get that cold in North Carolina). Added bonus: easy replacement (if ever needed) at any WalMart-just put your receipt in the glovebox (I've got mine with my insurance papers).

Added bonus: easy replacement (if ever needed) at any WalMart-just put your receipt in the glovebox (I've got mine with my insurance papers).

Very good point that I should have mentioned up front. That was a measurable factor in my decision. Thanks for adding that, zbane!

You need at least 650 CCA - but 750 is better.

Most of my Z's set for prolonged periods without use. That is actually the hardest service for a starting battery.

I currently have an Optima in my White 72 - its been in there for about three years now. Love it, I don't have to worry about leaking acid and nothing cranks an L6 like it does. It can also set for months without being on a charger - and retain most of its cranking ability. I'm always amazed at it actually.

The down side is:

1. you have to customize the battery tie down... it is not the standard size for the 240-Z.

2. it is relatively EXPENSIVE.... (but what the heck - you only buy one ever six or so years).

3. you can NOT QUICK charge it - so it is far better to have it on a Battery Minder if you don't use the car daily.

I have a Firestone Forever battery in my Blue 72. Bought it for $49.00 in 1975 - and Firestone has been replacing it free of charge ever since. The last two lasted 6 years each when kept on a Battery-Minder. They were lasting 3 to 3.5 years when not maintained on the Battery-Minder.

The latest replacement from Firestone is an Interstate. I had a problem with it however, the "handles" on the side, where a carry strap is supposed to go - were mounted high on the case. That prevented the stock battery tie down frame from sitting down on top of the battery as it should. No real problem, I just had to cut them off the case.

If you use the stock battery tie-down frame - take it with you when you shop for a new battery to make sure it will fit properly.!!!!

Additionally - I had custom battery cables made for the car about 10 years ago. So I could put the ground under the fender instead of the positive terminal. I also wanted far better cables and cable terminals. As I recall I used #4 or #2 stranded copper in a very high quality and flexible insulation, then put gold plated terminals on the them (at both ends). That eliminated all corrosion build up at the terminals - expensive but worth every cent. I highly recommend this approach...

You also want to make sure that the body ground on the firewall, from the battery is fixed to clean bare metal. In the 240-Z's this is VERY IMPORTANT...

If your car sits for prolonged periods without use (weeks at a time)... Get a good Battery-Tender/Battery-Minder and keep it hooked up. The car will start whenever you are ready and the battery will last about twice as long.

FWIW,

Carl B.

thanxz for all the replies , I always know that I will get the right info when I ask here . I talked to our mechanic at work and he told me to go with a 750 cca battery made by delco remy made in the USA , in his opinion this is the best I could buy here in Canada and with our discount at our local parts supplier I could get a excellent price as well .

My car is pretty much a weekender once the two feet of snow that we have right now melts so other than firing her up mid week to here her purr , she won't be on the road very much . My biggest concern was that I would have to strong a battery and would cause damage to my electrics system ,but that is obviously not a concern .

Thanxz again

Chris

The replies about good cables and fittings being important are really key to getting the starting performance you need. It won't matter how many cca you battery can deliver if the pipeline to the starter can't handle it. And with a set of small cables they begin to heat up quickly and increase in resistance which makes things even worse.

When comparing two batteries with similar CCA ratings pick the one with the highest amp hour rating. That one will hold more charge and be capable of cranking for a longer time. The CCA rating is only a 30 second test.