IGNORED

Series 1 Engine Paint Plan - Details Please

JohnnyO

I am trying to figure out the exact stock paint "plan" for an early series 1 engine. I would like to know what pulleys are painted blue, which ones are natural or plated, what adjusting arms are painted blue, which ones are left natural or plated cadmium, what color was the air pump inlet painted or plated, Fan clutch finish, etc.

If anybody has all the details I would greatly appreciate the time spent to detail it here.

Thank you!

Kats' website is a great reference and he has some fascinating stuff posted. Let me see if I can be of further help. The block is, of course, blue. That paint can be purchased in spray cans from the manufacturer http://www.towerpaint.com/ or http://zzxdatsun.com/ or http://www.classicdatsun.com/ When the blocks were originally painted, they were assembled engines so original engines had a lot of overspray on parts that had other finishes. For instance, the head is normally natural aluminum but it has overspray blue next to the block. So it goes for engine mounts (black) and the heater hose fittings (cad plate) and the oil pan (black).

The front damper pulley is blue and the nut is cad plated with overspray. The adjustment arm to hold the alternator is blue. I'm not certain because mine are restored black, but I think the alternator pulley and the fan blade for the alternator are cad plate. The alternator casing is natural aluminum and be aware that the early alternators were what we call the grapefuit type. The end plate is silver zinc plate with overspray. The front timing cover is natural aluminum (with overspray). The fan clutch is natural aluminum and the metal type fan is cream white. The air pump is a mixture of blue and natural aluminum with the pulley cad plate. Bolts and fittings were all cad plate but depending on location may be painted to match the surrounding part. Point being that Nissan did not build "bling" engines as we see so commonly in show cars. They were mass assembled and painted with little regard to masking - overspray is common. Let me dig for pictures as I am going from memory at the moment.

The air pump is a mixture of blue and natural aluminum with the pulley cad plate.

Chris, this is probably what you meant, but the air pump pulley is painted blue engine color and fastened to cad plated pump drive wheel with cad plated fasteners, all yellow cad, I believe.

Dan

Les at Classic datsun was the first to offer this, it should be the correct mix, the engine paint color is a left over from the time when the Japs was assembling engines for the Brits, so i wouldnt be surpriced if VB have it.

Chris

26th-Z said, "The adjustment arm to hold the alternator is blue."

I can confirm this. The arm and alt. on mine was replaced in 1980 during the engine rebuild. It is blue, has the part number sticker and my name and date taped to it. The new alt. has the cad plate pully and fan blades.

Bonzi Lon