IGNORED

New struts with original springs

Weasel73240Z

I've searched looking for an answer to this question, and haven't been able to find it.

I'm installing the 4.11 rear end/5 speed tranny in the car this Winter, and while I had it torn down, I was planning to replace the rear struts/springs. Since I started, I've shifted gears, and decided that I would keep my original springs, and only replace the strut cartridges. Based on a search here, I found that my springs were exactly the correct free length, so I'm keeping them. I always felt the car leaned a bit too much during hard cornering, which I was blaming on tired springs/struts. The car only has about 28K on it now, and the 1st 26K were put on by an older lady, so it hasn't been driven hard at all. Now that I realize my car had no rear sway bar, I'm thinking that was more the cause of the excessive leaning during cornering than the springs were. Rather than replacing the springs, I'm gonna spend the money on an aftermarket rear sway bar kit and only replace the strut cartridges.

My question is, what would be my best replacement strut cartridge if I'm keeping my original springs/original ride height?

Also, it seems like Suspension Techniques rear sway bar kit gets a lot of props on this site, any other good options for my 73?

When I got my S130, it definitely needed new struts. I went with Tokico struts all around (the blue ones) and kept the original springs.

I don't know if the ride height changed from the original setup, since the zx had an obvious squat when I bought it, but the height all around now looks even and proportionate.

If you aren't planning on racing, and just want a comfortable, yet capable ride I would suggest you look into those. Reasonable price for reasonable performance.

Edited by zbane

My question is, what would be my best replacement strut cartridge if I'm keeping my original springs/original ride height?
Paul, if you want to maintain stock ride height with stock springs, I believe there is only one option left in production these days - Koni. All of the other replacement strut inserts that I have been able to find are gas-charged, and will raise the ride height of the car. In my experience (low mileage stock springs with KYB) the ride height went up about 1/2". I believe you can expect similar results with any of the other gas-charged inserts.

Actually, while Konis are still readily available, I'm not really certain that new ones are still being built. I also know of a source who still has a few sets of NOS Mulholland inserts for 240Z (also some for 280Z). The Mulhollands (aka Interpart) are not gas charged, and are VERY firm.

Jack , I am going to join in there. Arne and I have gone though this in nausea um . I did end up with a set of Stage 1 springs. However if you want to keep the stock higth remove the top circle of spring off the front. this will lower the front about 1/2 ''. I wanted my Z lower so I removed more off the new springs and it has worked great. Before that I did remove the top coil on the stock springs and it was great though not as firm as I wanted. So this is the reason I went for the new springs. I also have the KYB struts and really like the ride and performance. I recommend that you remove the top circle coil. If you remove a additional full coil you will lower a additional one inch. So each full coil expect a one inch of lowering. To a point . Hope this helps . gary

I agree with Gary on this, Jack. Remove the entire first flattened coil from one end of each spring. That should get you about right, assuming your springs haven't sagged over the years. If they have, the KYBs might bring it back to original uncut.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It seems like most options will give the car a little lift. I think I'll go with either Tokico's or KYB's, I'll decide this week. Just finishing up with painting everything so its no hurry yet.

Regarding the sway bar. I looked at ST's bar, and the price is good, quality seems good also, but that green powdercoat???? I'm not sure I like the look of the ST bar.

Addco has one http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/ADD978.htm thats a bit cheaper, and its black. Anyone tried the Addco rear sway bar? I don't drive the car very hard, definitely don't race it at all. Just looking to lose some "lean". I'm thinking for my style of driving, the Addco bar should work fine.

Thank you Beandip and Arne. It may be a few weeks before I get to this. I'll take some measurements when I am all done and post it. Paul if you decide to go with KYB's you may try Summitt Racing, all four corners for $171.

Jack T

Paul, if you want to maintain stock ride height with stock springs, I believe there is only one option left in production these days - Koni. All of the other replacement strut inserts that I have been able to find are gas-charged, and will raise the ride height of the car. In my experience (low mileage stock springs with KYB) the ride height went up about 1/2". I believe you can expect similar results with any of the other gas-charged inserts.

Actually, while Konis are still readily available, I'm not really certain that new ones are still being built. I also know of a source who still has a few sets of NOS Mulholland inserts for 240Z (also some for 280Z). The Mulhollands (aka Interpart) are not gas charged, and are VERY firm.

Hi Arne,

I'm currently getting really to lower my 280Z suspension so I can do a few NASA HPDEs next year. I'm currently running KYB and stock springs. I have a set of vintage Mulholland race springs (bought them from Interpart in the 70s) but the vintage Mulholland strut were shot so I went back to the KYB/stock spring set-up.

Can you e-mail or PM me the Mulholland source so I can pick up a set of NOS Mulhollands. I'd given up hope of ever finding Mulhollands again.

Happy Motoring, Stan