IGNORED

Question about oil leak

mikehos2004

Hi everyone. My 78 has had a little oil leaking recently. I traced it to a canister looking thing next to the oil filter (opposite side from the dip stick). This part has two terminals on the end, and a connection to it covered by a rubber bootie. Anyway, can someone tell me what this part is, and how serious of a problem it is? Hopefully it's something I can fix myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you decide to replace it with a new one, just be very careful when unscrewing the leaky one.

Gentle pressure with the correct size wrench on the hex thread at the very base of the sender, right up by the engine block.

You don't want to snap the threaded nipple off.

Some people have been there, done that:angry:

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up the part on the way home from work today and will (carefully) install it this evening. Do I have to drain the oil first, or is the opening high enough that it won't leak?

Also, how do you know if you need a new fuel filter? How long does one normally last?

Thanks!

The sender is screwed into the main oil gallery in the engine block. It won't be under any pressure, just a reservoir ready to drain.

It will lose some oil when you remove the old one but if you are reasonably quick in doing the changeover it won't make much of a mess.

What does come out will be minimal so top up is hardly necessary.

Use some good quality thread sealant on the new one.

It will help seal the connection and protect the threads from seizing in the engine block.

If the fuel filter is transparent you can see if there are any contaminants in the base of it.

Nissan suggests replacing the fuel filter every 6,000 miles, "if necessary after visual inspection".

If you haven't done so, it would be wise to change the filter perhaps twice a year to ensure fuel delivery and quality is optimum:classic:

You don't need to drain the oil to replace the sending unit. 30000 miles or 24 months is the factory recommendation for fuel filter replacement on a 280Z. I'm sure Nissanman is referring to the filter on a carbureated car. They're a solid metal cannister on the EFI cars.

Edited by sblake01

My fuel tank is in good shape with no rust . I have a filter back by the tank and one up front by the Alternator. I have changed the rear one once in 7 1/2 years and the one up front looks clean still. I guess it depends on condition of the system and cleanliness of the fuel. On your sending unit , I recommend that you replace the leaking one with a OEM part. Gary

• 4 months later...

If it is leaking at the thread [or block], then a sealant should go a long way to fixing the leak.

However if it is leaking from the body of the sender, it is probably due for replacement.

Clean up the area and check it now and then to determine where it is leaking from, then take the appropriate action.

If you do remove it, try to get a wrench on to the hex head right up by the block.

Don't try to unscrew it grasping the sender body, it may snap off:stupid:

• 1 month later...