IGNORED

Best "performance" tire for a 70 240z

70z4fun

HOWDY,

I currently have some old BFG Radial TA's on my 70 240z, that I am thinking of replacing. First of all, my car is a stock 240z with Nissan European Springs, MSA sway bars, KYB struts, on stock 280zx wheels ( see attached).

The current tires are 195/70-14, but I am not that happy with them. Any suggestions on some decent tires? What sizes are you all running?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

post-3237-14150804926639_thumb.jpg

Bob, the choices for true performance rubber in 14" sizes are becoming rather meager. Before I go any farther than that, knowing that you are in Central Oregon, my first question will be whether you shop at Schwab, or elsewhere?

Thanks for the reply.

No, I actually like Les Scwabs service, but I have never actually bought tires for any of my sports cars there. Actually, I went to Goodyear today for tires for my Jeep, and started thinking of tires for the Z.

In the past, for my Fiats ( which also use a strange size 13" tire) , I have used Tire Rack and others.

By the way, THANKS SO MUCH for the lead on the exhaust system. It was new in the box and is now home with me! Maybe I will have a shop reproduce it if others are interested!!!!

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for the reply.

No, I actually like Les Scwabs service, but I have never actually bought tires for any of my sports cars there. Actually, I went to Goodyear today for tires for my Jeep, and started thinking of tires for the Z.

In the past, for my Fiats ( which also use a strange size 13" tire) , I have used Tire Rack and others.

OK. That being the case, to get true performance rubber in a size suitable for a 240Z with 14x6 wheels, you're going to want to go to a different size. There are no good performance options in 195/70-14 anymore. The most common sizes that others with 14" use these days are 205/60-14, with a few using 215/60-14. Both of these sizes are both shorter and wider than the size you now have - the 205 being the smaller of the two. The selection of tires will be greatest in the 205/60-14, even the 215/60 is becoming a rare size any more.

In the 205/60 you should be able to find tires by Kumho, Falken, Yokohama and more. Most any of those will do better than what you have now. If you do decide to shop for Z tires at Schwab, the ones they market under the Ohtsu Ziex label are the same as similar Falkens - Ohtsu is the parent company of Falken. Those are probably the only performance tires they will have available in a suitable size.

By the way, THANKS SO MUCH for the lead on the exhaust system. It was new in the box and is now home with me! Maybe I will have a shop reproduce it if others are interested!!!!

Thanks,

Bob

I know that there are at least one or two others here who are interested in cloning that system. ToXic for one. Check out his thread:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32243

• Like 1

IMO (as a former tire/wheel professional), 195/60-14 is too small for a 240Z.

As a tire/wheel amateur I did 4 hours on track at WSIR running a basically stock 240Z on 195/60-14 Kumho V700s. I was amazed at the control the car had and how tossable it was. Turn 1 was a hoot sideways at 75 mph! Probably the most fun I had on track with a 240Z.

There are a few companies that make tires with some of these older sizes, if you'd like to stick with the 14" rim size and original size tires. I recently bought a very nice set of tires for my 1967 MGB made by a company called Vredestein. I think mine are the sprint classic. Here is the web site:

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandgroepen.asp?UsersessionID=25427973&BandgroepID=5

These are not really anything like the performance tires of today, but they would retain the original look/ride of your car.

I had to have mine shipped here from NJ. You might have a dealer in OR.

John

As a tire/wheel amateur I did 4 hours on track at WSIR running a basically stock 240Z on 195/60-14 Kumho V700s. I was amazed at the control the car had and how tossable it was. Turn 1 was a hoot sideways at 75 mph! Probably the most fun I had on track with a 240Z.

I believe that in that size you can get a set of Falken RT-615's. What I like to call the best budget Autocross tires you can buy. They flat out stick and are very reasonably priced.

Check out

www.vulcantire.com

A past member here whom I have not seen in forever, kmack, told me about Falken Azenis. Here's a link to them on the vulcantire site posted above: http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi?stock=601&f=azenis_rt615_t.htm

"** RATED #1 AUTO-X TIRE BY GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS!! (May 2007 Issue) **"

These things look very aggressive! And at $66/ea they're very affordable for the performance they are supposed to provide.