IGNORED

Why aren't YOU going to ZCON 2008?

TomoHawk

Yeah, we have a Hooters here. It's one of the hottest or busiest places downtown, located on the flats by the river.

Chris-

Cleveland (Ohio) is a great place for a convention. We have lots of places with hotels or lodging, the city isn't so big it takes you an hour in heavy traffic to get to the suburbs, (the convention hotel is only 20 minutes from the Rock'n' Roll Hall of fame or the lake) and getting around town is very easy or even convenient.

Don't forget the weather is always nice here, even in late summer. I haven't used the a/c or furnace all summer!

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

Hey Tomohawk,

Is there additional info somewhere about the schedule of events? I can't find any additional info on the poker run other than the start and end times. Also, on the registration form, I'm a bit confused about the car show. Are the fees only required for car registration? I will likely only be able to be there for a few days, unfortunately. I think I can make the opening banquet and car show. I'd love to do Mid-O, but my car isn't quite track worthy yet. I still need to sort a few things.

My car isn't what you'd call a 'track star' either, but I'm going to Mid-Ohio. I've never even done a road course before, except in cycling. I'll be in the autocross, and the poker run too.

If you'd like any information, there an email link on the clevelandrockZ.com website.

BTW- Cleveland is only ' 3 1/2 beers' from Detroit LOL

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

My car has the right parts to be a track star someday, but I have a bunch of work to do before I would try it. I still have heavy tire rub under hard cornering or full wheel travel, my brake pads and shoes are close to 25 years old :paranoid: and I have a driveline vibration under acceleration that I can't seem to fix. I haven't replaced the rear wheel bearings yet either, so that is another good reason to wait before tracking it.

My car sat for five years before I bought it way back in 1990 and I just got it on the road for the first time last year. Even though I have rebuilt or replaced nearly everything on it, there are still weak or unknown parts. For example, I can drive in slow traffic all day and it stays cool, but it runs a bit warm (on the gauge at least) at speeds above 80mph. I'm guessing that I am building up a layer of stale air in front of the radiator. With some close-out panels and proper sealing, the airflow should improve.

I wish I had the time and money to fix everything at once, but there are too many other things emptying my wallet. :disappoin

I would go (without the Z) if it weren't at the end of the month. My job requires me to be there for every month-end, and this is also a quarter-end, so the timing definately won't work for me. If it is in San Diego next year I will do my best to go and maybe even drive a Z down.

-Mike

I took my family with me last year, and hope to again this year, and though I did miss several events due to Daddy duty(an 8 month old and a terrible two year old), and left early, I still met a great many people, and got a wealth of Z stories-even without the infamous visit to Hooters!

Will

Tomo - There are 3 of us here that have talked about making a day trip or overnighter, so we could take in the car show at least, but being on a Tuesday makes it a little more difficult for the other 2 guys, who are tied to work. It is coming up fast and we just realized that we don't know if the car show is open for foot traffic by the general public? None of us are affiliated with any official club, because it is just us, with no other Zs in the area other than our own. I hesitate joining the OZC; attending meetings would mean being on the road all day. It just seems too far removed. We have never belonged or paid dues to the ZCCA, but sure would enjoy seeing the cars in the show.

Edited by geezer

For a follow-up question, do we even need to register if we are only going to view the car show? I don't mind supporting the event, but if it turns out that I can only make it for the show, I'd rather not pay the registration fee for the opening and closing ceremonies. I'll buy a few shirts and such while I'm there. If it turns out I can make it on Monday, I will gladly register.

Anyone can go to the car show. :D

Thanks for clarifying that. I know the car show is only one aspect of the convention, but it is too bad it wasn't on the weekend when more people would come. I don't know, I guess I'm more acustomed to just a car show/swap meet atmosphere. Anyhow, I hope to shake hands and actually meet a few of you guys during my brief visit.

not to confuse things, but at Daytona you had to have event credentials to enter the show area or at least be in a car with the a driver that had credentials.

That I believe was not due to the show organizers but due to the show being held in the Daytona Speedway and the speedway required people to be cleared to enter the speedway, so just something to check and make sure something similar doesn't apply at Cleveland.

I don't see why you can't drive whatever you have to the car show and look around, visit, and have a bite. I'm not sure about what to say about the t-shirts and souvenirs, but you can go to the convention website and there's an email link for information. just click on the link in my signature.

Edited by TomoHawk