IGNORED

I'm Bringing Back Tha Twin Stacks ^_^ !

WingZr0

I always thought your Z deserved a Red Twin Stack :) .
While I, on the other hand, wasn't certain that I wanted twin tips. (Still not convinced, in fact. But it sure needed something, that ugly plain tip the PO had on it bothered me every time I looked at it. Worst part of the car. :sick: ) That was why I never popped for one of yours when they were available. But this Monza was so cheap I figured I couldn't lose. If I didn't like it, I figured I could probably eBay it and make money on it, even used.

I picked this Thrush Glasspack up at local Speed Shop as well a couple weeks ago, originally planing using it behind the catylitic converter in the trans tunnel. Just like this one in the link below it's 28 inches long with 2.25 inlet and outlet. Thrush Glasspack picture But now since I know it'll fit in the required space I'm thinking of using it as a tailpipe. Should I DO IT ! ? :) ~Z~

Edited by WingZr0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
:) WingZr0 "Parts Hero" may have done it again ! Been searching for factory Ansa race stickers / decals for a year and a half since finding 2 ultra rare red shield logos in 7 and 7/8ths by 6 and 1/2 inches. These look great between the fender emblem and the side bumper strip, about a 2 inch gap to spare between the top and bottom of it. I was talking with member Dan S yesterday and he mentioned he saw one running around New York, making only 3 that I know in existance to date. Search a thread called 'Ansa Tips' and you'll see them. Well anyway just last night I got a lead to a also rare 2.75 inch size in Italy which may also have the bigger ones above. 2.75 inches is big enough for a nice little fender "arm" badge fitting between bumper strip to top of fender. Hopefully this will lead to another lead for more Twin Stacks. I'll feel I'm getting closer to the source, wish me luck :) ~Z~ Edited by WingZr0

• 3 months later...

I just finished building my FIRST ANSA Twin Stack Prototype yesterday ! :) . Built it for a fellow member. Took some liberty and made the inlet pipes longer for a more "Burblely" sound. Similar to what I've seen on the early 60's to 70's Ferrari's. Has the same Slash Cut Slant Chrome style as the Originals with a 2 inch diameter inlet. Could of made it a possible 5 inces for something stupid if I wanted too LOL. And I used vintage Ansa parts! Will post some pics when I'm done painting it over the weekend and ad more details as well :) . ~Z~

Edited by WingZr0

looking forward to seeing it! Still on the hunt for twin stacks, let us know if you are thinking of making more...
Yeah I'm on the hunt too :) . But all of my leads for more since finding my last batch of 19 have not pand out. So for sure I'm making more, I have a set for myself already buffed, polished and restored ready to be assembled :D , and I have enough parts to make 30 to 35 more Twin Stacks. The "restrictiveness" of the originals some complain about have been solved since I can make the inlet diameter 1.75 inches for stock 240Z size up to 3.5 inches for higher horse power cars. Edited by WingZr0

Outlet is noticeably bigger too at 1.5 inches for both upper and lower pipe. Pretty much used the blueprints I drew from the originals to get the exact look right (once mounted) and also make it flow better. Used stainless steel on the extended section for it's rust resistance, but I'll paint it Black to match rest of the pipe. Heres the catch though, it's more expensive to make than the originals. If you live in the 48 states it cost $400 shipped to your door to make. That includes all price of parts, paint, all polishing, assembly, correct placement of NOS shield logos since they're almost always slightly incorrect according to the blueprints or messed up, shipping and any restoration cost. The pics will always speak for themselves :)

Edited by WingZr0

I intentionally didn't make it a direct bolt on for 2 reasons. One, since on my Z the rear most hanger bracket hangs way to low in my opinion. I suggest removing that bracket having a muffler shop fab a new one, this way you can raise up the pipe and adjust the look further in, out or snug up against the lower rear valance as you like. And since the diameter of these pipes are a little bigger than the originals it will seem that much lower so you'll want that extra bit of clearance.

Edited by WingZr0

Secondly, and this is the main reason, to eliminate the over under routing of the exhaust which serves no intended purpose. The stock exhaust from the Nissan factory has the inlet hole on the top half of the muffler or above the centerline of the mufflers cross section. The original Ansa's where a over under to keep it a direct bolt on cause of where the exhaust line was located once the factory muffler was removed. Now with these the inlet is ON the center line of the Twin Stacks cross section. So when you remove the rear most hanger you can raise the TS (Twin Stack) just enough to where it virtually lines up and slips on the exhaust line eliminating the over under bend creating a straight line and a freer flowing exhaust. Thats how I designed the prototype. Also if your replacing the entire exhaust line I can make the inlet closer to the rear to eliminate that funky S Curve the exhaust takes once it clears the differential to mate with the stock muffler. Meaning you can creat a more direct route to the TS.

Edited by WingZr0

Lastly, whew this's alot of typing LOL, I can make this in several different appearance styles. Reads like an options list :). All Chrome look meaning no Red Ribbon or Red Ansa Shield logos, with or without Red Ribbon, with or without Red Shield logos, Gloss Black inner outlet paint or Flat Ansa Orange, Black painted extended "Ferrari style" Y-pipe section or I can leave that part Stainless Steel Silver which I admit is a pretty cool look :cool: . Just need to know the inlet size wanted and intended horsepower goals for those interested. Ok, I'll post pics when I can :) . ~Z~

Edited by WingZr0