IGNORED

Bob Sharp GT KIt

This car is a perfect example of how something that was seen as "desireable" back "in the day" is now seen as deploreable and embarrasing.

Platform shoes, hip-hugger pants, screen-print silk shirts, paisley patterns in wild colors, white leisure suits, Nehru jackets, tie-dye, Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts under Button Down Collar shirts; just to name a few. All were "cool" and "groovy" or "funkalicious" at one time. Now, they're the type of item that some people deny having been involved with....like Disco. But, like Disco, if you were part of the "IN" crowd, whether you were a Beatnik, a Hippie, a Yippie, a Yuppie, a Rebel, or a Preppie, you "wore" the uniform.

This car is a perfect example of this. The spoiler, the flares, the striping .... while "outrageous" now were very much the "rage" back in the 80's. (Remember the A Team's van?) Like paint, this year's most popular color will be pasé a few years down the road.

So, while many will distance themselves from the 80's appeal of the stripes, the interior and the air-brushing, like Disco, back in the "Day" you either participated or YOU were considered the "outcast" or the "dork" or the "nerd".

2¢

E

I would say that is an accurate summary as far as how the car has dated, in relation to current perceptions. I think there are two ways anything can age, and cars are no exception; They either age well and are considered timeless.....a stock 240Z is a good example. Or something loses its contemporary appeal.....like fashion from the 70's i.e. the car for auction.

Even then I feel certain things can still be appealing because they are "dated". I do have an appreciation for "dated" themes here and there. I am an owner of a Z31 as well, and I feel it is the most dated Z-car. That's part of what appeals to me as I am a fan of the 80's; the decade I was brought up in.

Well, my point is some things do not age well. Despite this, they can still be considered charming....a look back at what was "in" at the time. But, don't get me wrong; I'm not going out on a limb to defend the Z for auction. To each their own.

Sailor Bob, that is just being cruel! Not to Enrique but the rest of us. I've got all these images of Enrique implanted in my head now. Prepping his hair in front of the mirror, bustin his moves on the lights of the dance floor, but yeah...clean rear suspension.ROFL

Actually Dad absolutely refused Long Hair, Hip-hugger pants and Platform shoes for the longest time. Not till my Senior year in HS did I acquire a pair of the Platform Shoes with the tall heels, and soon found out they were no longer cool. I think I wore them to two parties before they were banished to the back of my closet.

But as far as Disco? Heck, I'll admit to doing my best to twirl the night away moaning about a rain-soaked cake ... all the while watching the ladies in those form fitting body-suits with the fly-away skirts in stilletto high heels doing their twirls .... Go ahead, critique THAT!!!

Lest we forget, here are a couple of other pictures of interest:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11299

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7701

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/corvette_summer/

And a video:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13467

All of these are examples of designs and acceptable items THEN. Some of the many items are still desireable and some are not. While some of these are such that there will be some that will decry their being included in this discussion, the point I'm making is that they're ALL either advances or side-steps in the automotive looks department.

Flames which were a huge component of "hot-rod" paint jobs in the 50's, were seen as pasé in the 70's and 80's when stripes were a big item. Psychedelic paint jobs and graffiti motifs were "in" in the 60's, and were scorned in later years (Anyone remember the Partridge Family bus?). Or outrageous engines poking through hoods with extremely modified cars, The Monkees, The Munsters, just to name a couple. The late 70's and 80's introduced two-tone paint jobs amidst other items, and stripes began a come back. The 90's can best be remembered for outrageous colors ... Dodge Neon anyone?

And I'm summarizing and categorizing with broad strokes. If you wish to debate specific dates, years and trends, then we need a different thread. My point is that this car may now best be an example of something that was big then, and isn't now. Berating it, exclaiming how it gags you, or "burns" the retina's are just more examples of how pasé it has become ... but it wasn't ALWAYS this way. Had the original owner finished the project, who knows, it might have ended up winning a show or two.

2¢

E

There was a car like this, perhaps even this one for sale out of a shop in Arizona a few years back. Late 90's. The shop was Z focused and going out of business. I recall the car being originally a BSR styling project or something. There was a feeding frenzy on the old IZCC email forums. Arizona Z cars in quantity!!!

Hi Rob,If my memory is correct that may have been the GT-33 280z that was recently sold on ebay,that unit was authentic,I spoke with Mr Sharp & he confirmed the authenticity as well as reminded me very few records of these builds were kept.The new owner is very close to datsun history & my understanding was a restoration was planned.

Hi Rob,If my memory is correct that may have been the GT-33 280z that was recently sold on ebay,that unit was authentic,I spoke with Mr Sharp & he confirmed the authenticity as well as reminded me very few records of these builds were kept.The new owner is very close to datsun history & my understanding was a restoration was planned.

You are probably right. Back then we didn't have forums and we just got wind of the shop going out of business and the unique Z for sale.

Funny, I think I have about 8 years worth of Bob Sharp catalogs around here somewhere. I used to carry it with me everywhere and circle the things I wanted to buy.