IGNORED

Maxima Alternator up grade in a 240Z

beandip

Nissan equipped the Maxima’s with a variety of different amperage alternators depending on year and exact application (different electrical loads). A summarized chart would be:

60A 1981-1984

70A 1985-1986

80A 1985

90A 1986-1994

95A 1992-1994

100A 1995-2003

110A 1995-2003

120A 2004-2006

125A 1995-2003

Notice the overlap. In addition, repair houses will attempt to cover several years/models with one replacement alternator, so you never know what you will find in the junkyard. In general I have found that the earlier 70A and 90A Maxima alternators are easier to swap into a S30 than the later ones.

The 78-80 810 also used the internally regulated LR160-42 alternator that Steve listed for the 81-84 Maxima. That's the same one used in the 78 280Z and similar enought to be interchangable with the 280ZX LR160-82B alternator. The the turbo ZX used the 70 amp LR170-02B and I'm still looking for a couple of those for my cars.

The 70 amp ZXT units appear to be hard to find. Even parts suppliers generally sell the 60 amp unit as covering all ZXs, both turbo and NA. So if a ZXT in a boneyard ever had its alternator replaced, it likely has the 60 amp unit instead.

I look for the numbers on it if they still exist. And I have a buddy with a shop that can test the output. I like that 'part supply' line in your sig. I would really have to stop and think about how many Datsuns out there have parts in them that I was somehow involved in over the years.

• 2 months later...

I'm considering swapping out the alternator in my '72 with a self regulating, 90 amp unit from a 1996 300ZXT. Will I have any problem with this swap as far as wiring sizes go? I don't really have any "electrical add-ons" beyond stock components.

THANX for any advice you can offer this Z-neophyte.

Kamikazi72

I have the ever-popular 60 amp ZX alternator on my '71. I noticed that if I sit waiting for a green light with the lights on, turn signal going, wipers and heater fan running, none of these things slow down or dim while the engine is idling. With the original 40 amp alternator, things got ugly in that situation. So I'd say that my experience is that more than 60 amps is not necessary unless you have a lot of extra consumers.