IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

Carl, I would like to ask some questions re. my baby I bought new (May 1984), yes one owner, '84 300ZX Turbo.

Glad to help in any way I can - however I really know very little about the Z31's. Might be able to get you with someone that does. Feel free to drop me an E-Mail: beck@becksystems.com

At Post #72 were you asking if Gus was going to be at a meet at Lake Worth May 20??

Carl B.

• 1 year later...

OK long journey but back on and finally back on this, the Z32 got finished so now this one.

The body shop experience was going to prove difficult for them to do it all so I took that part of the project and managing it myself. I took the car to my shop (HP Logic) for some final disassembly. From there I will coordinate the remainder of the disassembly (removing suspension, strip all adhesive residue from seals and undercoating) unfortunately to finish the last of it I need a rotisserie which I am trying to hunt down.

Here is is on its way to the shop

240Ztrip1.jpg

240Ztrip2.jpg

Here it is after removal of fenders and hatch, just need to remove, suspension, windshield and undercoating

240Zextstrip.jpg

whoever only does an external refresh or repaint doesn't know what they are leaving behind, here is some rust I found under the fenders, also found rust behind the hood hinge brackets, door hinges. But overall a very solid specimen, can't wait to get her done.

240Zextstrip1.jpg

240Zextrust1.jpg

In the mean time I have been taking the lose pieces to the blaster for soda blasting and primer

240Zsoda.jpg

Glad to see you are back at it Westpak. Like all cars of this vintage there is no shortage of places for moisture to build up and start eating metal away. You made a lot of progress on you own and we call testify to how long work like this takes. We look forward to more pictures and updates as your move along with the project. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

A little more movement.

Got the front and rear glass removed, and good news is that there was just a little rust, the glass guy was surprised how good it was under the weatherstrip

Just one spot on the front

240zWindshieldRust.jpg

And some on the hatch

240zHatchRust.jpg

And some parts back from soda blasting and primer, the doors also looked good with only some small holes on the bottom

240zDoorPrime.jpg

And the rotisserie is in

240zrot1.jpg

Thanks, here are a few more

Ok here it is final steps on the rotisserie after manufacturing the adapters

240zrotisseri.JPG

And stuff like this annoys me, specially as the car is pretty rust free, and you see this. It was due to the a/c, they put the drain for the evaporator out the side of the foot well so the water puddled between the body and the fender. Now I know why the fender on this side was so much worse than the driver's side.

240zrustout.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well slow process, two years after blasting she is back home after body repairs and painting, most of that time was trying to find someone that didn't want an arm and a leg to fix/paint, just an arm anyway LOL

240Zpostpaint.jpg

I was able to find donor sections to avoid making replacements or splicing, you see the Swiss cheese in previous posts

240Zfrontpostpaint.jpg

240Zfrontpassfixed.jpg

240Zfrontdriverfixed.jpg

And some frame repair

240Zframdriverfixed.jpg

Now some time to build wallet back up

• Like 1

Also had the interior and underneath sprayed with lizard skin and every nook and cranny spray with rust encapsulator, having it on the rotisserie came in handy as they turned it all around to get the encapsulator everywhere