IGNORED

My brakes SCREAM...

usafdarkhorse

Eh I don't think the shims were there so I'm going to have to get those. For right now, the silencing goop is working pretty good.

No idea on the pads. I bought the car about 2 and half months ago and don't know much about the stock equipment. They're almost brand new though. Have about 1 cm of pad, would be difficult to fit shims in there without some clamps to hold the cylinder back.

• 1 year later...
Yesterday I took my 280Z for a decent drive over some curvy and hilly terrain and was out for about an hour.

Now, as I've been driving my car lately, the longer I drive it, the more noticeable a shrill squeal occurs, and, at the end of my ride yesterday, it was pretty much SCREAMING to a stop ( but stopping wasn't hindered. It stopped just fine ).

I've paged through the FSM and found that between the caliper and pad there are little "anti-squeal shims" ( yes literally...the FSM says "anti-squeal shims").

Should this be the first place I should look or does anyone think I could be having another issue altogether?

I bought the car about 2 and a half months ago now and I don't know if they've been bled, but the pads look nearly brand new...about 1 cm thick. Think they could be glazed over and causing this sort of awful noise?

Thanks

I would say absolutely this should be the first thing to check. These little shims are 100% essential and for some reason often seem to disappear over the years. If they're not there, your brakes will sound horrible!

I had the same problem on my '78 coupe, even with new pads, rotors and calipers. Without these little shims, the brakes sounded so bad I almost started hated driving my car!

Then I found out about these little boogers and bought a set from Z Car Source of Arizona. Put 'em in and voila! no more screaching!