IGNORED

My brakes SCREAM...

usafdarkhorse

Yesterday I took my 280Z for a decent drive over some curvy and hilly terrain and was out for about an hour.

Now, as I've been driving my car lately, the longer I drive it, the more noticeable a shrill squeal occurs, and, at the end of my ride yesterday, it was pretty much SCREAMING to a stop ( but stopping wasn't hindered. It stopped just fine ).

I've paged through the FSM and found that between the caliper and pad there are little "anti-squeal shims" ( yes literally...the FSM says "anti-squeal shims").

Should this be the first place I should look or does anyone think I could be having another issue altogether?

I bought the car about 2 and a half months ago now and I don't know if they've been bled, but the pads look nearly brand new...about 1 cm thick. Think they could be glazed over and causing this sort of awful noise?

Thanks

Those shims would be the 1st place I would look. At your local parts store they have some stuff to put on the back of the pads (between the shims and back of brake pads). I can't remember what it is called exactly but you can get a little packet of it for maybe 99 cents.

While in there see if those pads look glazed over too, but I doubt that since you said stopping wasn't hindered at all. For .99 its worth a shot. I had a similar issue on my Piece of Crap Chrysler Sebring and that is what solved my issue.

Hope this helps!

Well I haven't tried your brass shim idea yet ( I guess I need shims just about everywhere now ), but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not my problem.

The fix I did by shimming the spring to put more pressure on the rocker lever should have been enough to make a good contact, but I can try it anyway.

I just don't think the power's getting there.

At any rate, I thought about getting some of that stuff for the back of the brake pads and it looks like I'll be doing so. What should I do if the shims are worn or virtually nonexistent?

As far as I know, those brake pad shims are still available through Nissan. I bought some in early 2007. the part numbers are 41084-A0100 (Shim-RH) and 41085-A0100 (Shim-LH). You'll need 2 each and as I recall they're under two bucks each.

When I searched the shim part numbers on Courtesy Parts web site, those part numbers came back empty. I didn't actually try at a local Nissan dealer, but the shims do come as part of the disk brake hardware kit from Motorsports auto:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SBC04

Interesting, the hardware kit has a Nissan part number on it, but that part number also does not find anything when I search it on Courtesy part's web site...

But Courtesy parts does list a hardware kit on this page:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/s30_brakes.html

I wonder if it is the same kit, but with a different number?

By the way, the reason that I know all of this is because I just recently bought a hardware kit to try to fix my squealing brakes.

If you by the kit from Motorsport, be aware that one kit will do both sides. You don't need to buy two kits. (Unless you have rear disks...)

OK, so yesterday I raised the car and took out the pads ( was probably the easiest time I've ever had working on brakes ).

I lubed the backsides of the pads where the piston meets and also the anti-squeal springs with some of that silencing stuff. Had it all back together in about a half hour.

Took her out for a drive and it was a vast improvement. I have a very slight squeal coming from the back right now I believe and only when I come right to a stop for a split second, but it's much much better.

So, did you see the shims behind the pads? I tried the goop to the back of the pads.... didn't do the job complete until I got the small metal shims from MSA to fit behind the pads. Fixed the squeal problem when we had Kevlar pads on stock calipers couple years ago.