IGNORED

Any Alignment / Tire Wear Issues After Lowering?

Oiluj

As part of my refresh project on my 1972 240, I'm thinking of installing a lowering kit, either Tokico HP's & Lowering springs or Eibach's.

I'll be running 15" wheels for 98% street & highway driving with the occasional club autocross. From the posts I've read, the Eibach's may be the better spring for my usage.

1) With the 1" lowering springs, other than cutting down the bump-stops, are any other suspension mods required?

2) I know the car will have to be re-aligned, but should there still be enough adjustability to align properly?

3) Should I be concerned about unplesant changes in suspension geometry?

4) Should I expect any change in tire wear?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Much discussed issue. I have installed the gear you speak of in mine (HPs with Eibachs lowering springs) - it did require an allignment, but there were no other obvious problems.

I installed brand new bumpstops (uncut) as well - I haven't brought up on them yet, so I am not sure why you would cut them.

The only adjustment available on an otherwise stock 240 is front toe. This is easily set with a tape measure and a buddy to hold the steering wheel straight.

If you want to adjust things for autox then you're looking at buying more pieces like adjustable control arms, camber plates, camber bushings, etc. If you're serious about the autoxing you'll be wanting to do a lot more to the suspension. Just make sure that what you do complies with the rules for the class you're going to run.

I'm not planning any serious autocross, just fun runs at club events, etc...

I'm more concerned with any negative effects of lowering the suspension, especially in terms of alignment & tire wear.

Doesn't sound like there's too much to worry about.