IGNORED

Poor #299: Not for the feint of heart!

Go240Zags

a7dz,

Take a good look at the driver side floor board picture. That is dead grass where the flooboard should be. The driver seat floorboard mount is about 3 inches above where it should be. I swear that is old coaxal TV cable running along the door jam.

Damnit James Tiberious Kirk... he's dead. ;)

Yeah I wouldn't say it is unsalvageable based on the pics from the auction. Yes, it may take a lot of sheet metal, and probably not economically worth doing, but for most people who restore these cars (or most cars) the return is negative anyway; it is more of a hobby. We'll see if he re-lists the car or what.

a7dz,

Take a good look at the driver side floor board picture. That is dead grass where the flooboard should be. The driver seat floorboard mount is about 3 inches above where it should be. I swear that is old coaxal TV cable running along the door jam.

Damnit James Tiberious Kirk... he's dead. ;)

You did not see what I started with on the 70.

Replacing that floor pan is no big deal. I even have a line on a replacement taking up space in a garage attic.

Go look at my albums and then repeat your story.

Replaced both rocker panels, lower half of both quarters, repaired both inner rear fender wells, hand bent and fit metal to replace the cancer there, hand bent and replaced all metal under battery box, replaced and repaired the cancer on the firewall at fender well intersection. Replaced the passenger side floor pan, hand formed and replaced all the metal behind the both seats. Re built the frame rail on the passenger side and repaired the drivers side frame rail. Replaced metal in cowl box common to the heater intake. Repaired the metal above the windsheild. Replaced the gas door and inside pan. Replaced more metal then I left behind.

Ah! I'll be quiet now.

Funny thing... since I bought this 240Z, I have been going over all my options... some want me to put a 280ZX drive train in it.. or at least 280Z engine..... not gonna happen.

However.....

My 240 will be FI with turbo and a 280ZX transmission.... keeping the original engine. Im starting to get an idea of what this is gonna cost... I really dont have a problem with it. The total project is gonna stay under 20K if I do a lot of the monkey work myself. :D

The sound smell and feel will be very close to the original except for that whine. ;) ... and I think it will be exceptionally fast... unless my calculations are off.

I swear that is old coaxal TV cable running along the door jam.

More like an old coaxial antenna cable. After all, that's exactly where that cable should be.

As far as the condition of the car goes it's really hard to do a good analysis from the pictures provided. Even if Chris thinks it's just bad as #27 I think this one is in better shape. The only real body damage I see is the hood and the area around the tail pipe.

You did not see what I started with on the 70.

Replacing that floor pan is no big deal. I even have a line on a replacement taking up space in a garage attic.

Go look at my albums and then repeat your story.

Replaced both rocker panels, lower half of both quarters, repaired both inner rear fender wells, hand bent and fit metal to replace the cancer there, hand bent and replaced all metal under battery box, replaced and repaired the cancer on the firewall at fender well intersection. Replaced the passenger side floor pan, hand formed and replaced all the metal behind the both seats. Re built the frame rail on the passenger side and repaired the drivers side frame rail. Replaced metal in cowl box common to the heater intake. Repaired the metal above the windshield. Replaced the gas door and inside pan. Replaced more metal then I left behind.

I agree with you, Jim. The subject car can be restored. All of the metal parts are readily available from Tabco (tabcobodyparts.com), Bad Dog Parts (baddogparts.com). Motorsportauto.com and others.

Here's a good thread that discusses replacing floor pans:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25227

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the most memorable road trips I've been on were to retrieve cars long distance. I don't believe we have saved any money in lieu of having them shipped but we have a lot more fun and have seen a lot of country and met some great people. If you can swing getting the time freed up I recommend doing your own hauling. This car can be saved but would be a long term commitment with a high price tag.