IGNORED

The making of reproduction parts.

hls30.com

Joseph,

I will check into that-I restored my harnesses already, and I know MSA has one of the Grommets listed, Ed made one as well-I do some research and see what is already made, and what needs to be-thanks for the suggestion!

MikeB, I would welcome the parts, especially the plugs-mine are deformed, and I ma not looking forward to working on something that small to straighten.

Mike, I have several NOS copies for both sides-I bought two every time one broke-I figured they were still available. I'll add them to the list!

Xray,

I need the gasket for the passenger side door mirror I am having parts made for. So far it looks like these will have to be hand assembled and the convex mirror will have to hand cut...lots of time in each one.

Looks like tomorrow is a go!

Will

PS John!!!!

Will:

Most impressive. I do have a part that I need would buy about 20 of. The rubber strap on the folding wheel chocks for 260 and 280s. I pick-up chocks here and there and clean them and repaint (exact right color- custom made) and even the decal, and the tire tools redone also, I even repair the vinyl bags. I sell them on ebay, but that little rubber piece is rarely there and never in good condition. I have one in pieces at the moment and could send it to you to see if you could make repros.

Thanks,

Jim

Will:

...The rubber strap on the folding wheel chocks for 260 and 280s. I... I have one in pieces at the moment and could send it to you to see if you could make repros.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Sure, I'll give it a shot, I'll check tomorrow to see if I have one to save you some time and shipping.

John,

The Hazzard switch would be a tough one, I would think the contacts could be rebuilt far easier and cheeper than I could make a copy-the walls of the assy are so thin, they are not condusive to pour casting, and while I do intend to get into injection molding, the molds are seriously more intense, as is the molding procedure!

I believe The seal is already being made by precision, and sold by several of our vendors...

WIll

Jim,

I have one more place to look-I know I had a good one.

Joseph-not me...

The molds are almost done, but I am still running into the problem of the materials that are available to cast the parts in being short lived. I am experimenting with a few choices at the moment, and hopefully one will pan out, otherwise we will have great looking parts for the cars that spend most of their time out of the sun, and/or in cooler climates, and parts that last a year or two for the drivers(prolonged heat ultimately causes them to sag, and the UV exposure causes chalking-even through a topcoat).

Will

Here's one for ya Will, Do you have a lead on the clear rubber terminal boots for the alternator and starter fusable links?

In rebuilding the harness's for a few people, I've notice that EVERY Boot is now blackened from electrical heat. I've even seen them totally black from almost catching on fire. I'd love at least a dozen to start with.

And have you thought about the Chromed trim piece on the 240Z taillights.

I ask because in doing the LED conversions, I've come across some trim that literally dissentigrates in your hands, from heat, exhaust gasses and UV brakdown.

Dave.

Here's one for ya Will, Do you have a lead on the clear rubber terminal boots for the alternator and starter fusable links?

And have you thought about the Chromed trim piece on the 240Z taillights.

I ask because in doing the LED conversions, I've come across some trim that literally dissentigrates in your hands, from heat, exhaust gasses and UV brakdown.

Dave.

Dave, I am way ahead of you on the clear boots-and the coil boots, and the injector boots-making them in clear/black silicone means that they are heat proof, color fast, non-hardening, and are almost ready for casting! I need these for finishing up my car.

On the taillight trims, I have experimented with cast aluminum-tough to get the molds just right-machinable wax and conventional plaster both shrink as they solidify, and the specialty plaster that actually is dimensionally matched for casting machinable wax is sold only by the pallet load-I could use 100 lbs of plaster for all of my projects and still have some left over, so buying and storing 900lbs or more is just too much.

I am working with an overseas company to have a good many parts reproduced, and this is proving to be a slow negotiation as they don't want to grant me exclusive purchase rights on pieces I have personally designed, and they want to price everything to the sales price(as they determine it), and not to the cost of production plus a reasonable profit for them. It may be time to look further-fortunately they have only photos and dimensions, not actual samples.

Will