IGNORED

The making of reproduction parts.

hls30.com

I received a phone call today from the king of pinstripes, those of you serviced by ZPS know who I am talking about...

Any way,

I have been beyond swamped with life and Larrys car-you can't believe the absolute SH!T AL Allen sold as (to directly quote him), "a fully restored-better than new car"-fortunately you won't have too, but more on that at a later date...I have been putting EVERY spare moment into getting Larrys car done-I promised I would help him get the car into the shape it was advertised to be in. Between family, eating, sleeping and Larrys car there simply hasn't been anything left over. The good news is Larrys car will be in paint by the middle of next week...I expect to have one more month in the car, and then, get some of the things I owe and have promised to several members here in the mail.

When Larrys car is finished, and the owed items have been shipped, I will be taking a vacation to get my sanity back, and start work on my own entry at ZCon2010. After Zcon2010, I will be jumping into the reproduction parts, and my own 240Z. I apologize for the absence, all of the delays, the bent promises, and the lack of balance.

Will

So you're saying you have a life beyond CZCC and "Reproduction parts"???

I'm pretty sure we can all sympathize with you and your efforts. Parts are a side job, so do what you gotta do then take a damn break Will. It's not like you don't deserve it or anything.......

Tell Larry we said "HI" and take care.

Dave

Any chance you could make the driver's door pin for the 1972 240Z? Or does anyone know where I can find one? They're NLA and mine is broken.

Greg

If I recall the diameter is 8mm?? (Could be wrong) I used linear shafting rod and cut to size. The case hardness of the shaft is something like 64 Rockwell which is overkill. Use an air cutoff tool or a 4-1/2 grinder with cutting disc. A hacksaw won't begin to cut this stuff due to the hardened case.

You can get linear shafting through MSC or McMaster Carr.

FWIW, 2c etc

Jim

Did we ever come up with a solution for the "Hatch Hinge Seals" that are NLA??

I'm prepping for the paint on the 260Z and just removed the hatch hinges to find the rubber cups are trashed and in serious need of replacing

WILL!!! HELP ME - HELP ME

I am very interested in these!!!! :bulb::bulb::bulb::bulb:

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

My work just picked up a handheld 3D scanner, it's pretty bad arse. I plan on scanning a few Z parts as soon as I bring my Z out of storage and was wondering what you guys think I should scan.

The scanner is pretty remarkable, and outputs an actual model of the surface (not a point cloud). I'll then make the .STL files freely available to anyone who wants them. I have no problem with people using them to reproduce and sell parts if they so choose. I'm just excited to play with a new toy and help this community.

The scanner has some limitations, it doesn't like reflective or transparent surfaces so those will need to be painted or sprayed with talc. I'm not soliciting anyone to send parts to me. Not yet anyway. So I may not have the part you suggest, but I do have a remarkably original series 1 car.

If you're interested in the scanner, here's a link to the scanner website

Creaform REVscan :cool:

Hey guys,

My work just picked up a handheld 3D scanner, it's pretty bad arse. I plan on scanning a few Z parts as soon as I bring my Z out of storage and was wondering what you guys think I should scan.

The scanner is pretty remarkable, and outputs an actual model of the surface (not a point cloud). I'll then make the .STL files freely available to anyone who wants them. I have no problem with people using them to reproduce and sell parts if they so choose. I'm just excited to play with a new toy and help this community.

The scanner has some limitations, it doesn't like reflective or transparent surfaces so those will need to be painted or sprayed with talc. I'm not soliciting anyone to send parts to me. Not yet anyway. So I may not have the part you suggest, but I do have a remarkably original series 1 car.

If you're interested in the scanner, here's a link to the scanner website

Creaform REVscan :cool:

You got my attention-I have been playing with the David Scanner (in the time between I start a blink and finish it) and while it has serious potential, it needs more time than I have to get it into a usable setup.

I have a cnc mill/drill/lathe, and as MikeB pointed out infinitely more ideas than time.

When Larrys car is done,(it is getting close-hopefully Larry will register it for ZCON), Zcon is finished and I have at least one day of sleep, I will jump back into the parts.

Will

Will that thing scan an object and turn the scan into a CAD drawing?

Yes, it creates a CAD model. However, the model is typically then used to make an accurate ground up model (meaning the scanned model is not your finished product, it instead allows you to make an accurate new model). Unless you have access to a 3D printer, in which case you could effectively print a new part.