IGNORED

Solutions to a shakey problem

fuzze

Hey ,I thought you all might want to see what 37 years of performing hard looks like ! I knew when i started to dig into this front end I knew would find some driven parts , little did I know they where all still orig . This should answer some of the questions for those asking why there steering wheel shakes at speed on their early Z's . I've replaced using energy suspension in the black poly and with each new part the improvement is astounding the difference it makes . Pictured are old end links , strut rod bushings , steering coupler and sway bar frame bushing's ,soon to come ball joints from moog and lower control arm bushing from ES, tie rods then all will be new . I feel much safer now when I'm driving the Z ,Even the braking seems stronger . Can't wait for my new tokiko struts \springs, thats next week ! See ya

Chris

That is a bit frightening!

It'll be like a new car when all that stuff is replaced:devious:

Take the time to remove the steering rack when you get the new ball joints.

They are fairly easy to dissemble and re-lube.

Then you adjust the backlash screw to get all the slop out.

It probably needs new boots as well.

Hello nissanman , it is a bit scary eh , I have a friend who is a journeyman mech who will be helping \guiding me with the ball joints as I have never taken any apart before and i will follow your advice and re-lube and tighten the rack . Surprisingly the rack boots look all around perfect , maybe they were changed out by po . Quick question , on the steering rack immediately to the right of passenger rack bushing , what is\was the plastic knob approx 1 in tall and slightly tapered to the top , kinda looks like a big cap off a toothpaste tube . I say was because when I was changing steer rack bushings I broke the thing off at the base where it attaches to the rack assey . A little embarrassed to admit my sloppy mech skills , oh well . It looks like it is old and brittle anyway . I saved it and can post a pic if no one knows what I'm refering to .

Thanxz

Chris

Nice! That first pic should have the caption that reads "Bad bushing! Bad bushing! "

After driving my Z in just the shake-out phase only (35mph around the neighborhood) it's amazing the difference I feel in the car (all new ES bushings also). No wandering, no steering wheel shimmy...But, one does get greatly enhanced feedback from the road so prepare to have an "interactive" driving experience!

Mine looked similar to yours, so I hope your results are as satisfying as mine are!

Steve

PS: BTW, I went with Illuminas and matching springs--love 'em so far! Which are you getting?

post-7009-14150801913208_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801913883_thumb.jpg

Hey xray, nice car ,I like the green of your Z . As far as spring\struts i ordered Hp's with matching lowering springs .I was told that they are like iluminas at # 3 setting and I'm good with that .I looked a little closer at my haynes and now have a much better understanding of my next tasks . Thanks to all for the help .

Chris