IGNORED

1972 240 carb to fuel injection conversion?

Shoottathril200

The Fuel Injection System on the 280Z/280ZX's were put there by the factory to meet the US Emissions Standards. They are analog (ie hard wired) systems, and the only way to "tune" them is by feeding false signals from the sensors they use. By todays standards they are historic junk...

Well I guess thats your opinion :ermm:

Me personally, I love the stock Bosch L Jetronic system in my 1977 280Z. IN MY OPINION I think they are pretty simple to work on. Of course I know them really well. I had to do some work on mine when I first bought my Z, but after I got everything up to par, she performs like a champ and runs like a bat out of hell on the highway. This is just my opinion of course.

Now I do agree that converting a 240Z to FI is not worth it. If you have your heart set on F.I. then get a 280Z or 280ZX.

The Fuel Injection System on the 280Z/280ZX's were put there by the factory to meet the US Emissions Standards.
I really don't want to get into the carb vs EFI thing but I have to comment on that statement. If that's true then why was the same system used on the non US cars also? Not just Datsun/Nissans but the European cars that used the Bosch system that Nissan patterned theirs from?

Well I guess thats your opinion :ermm:

Me personally, I love the stock Bosch L Jetronic system in my 1977 280Z. IN MY OPINION I think they are pretty simple to work on. Of course I know them really well. I had to do some work on mine when I first bought my Z, but after I got everything up to par, she performs like a champ and runs like a bat out of hell on the highway. This is just my opinion of course.

Now I do agree that converting a 240Z to FI is not worth it. If you have your heart set on F.I. then get a 280Z or 280ZX.

Hi Jared

Well my conclusion may have seemed a little too insensitive - but I hope the rest of it was more a consideration of the technology, than just my opinion.

Lets face it, can you plug your P.C. into your Jetronic System and reprogram the fuel maps, adjust the volumes and air/fuel ratios to account for different engine displacements, head flow rates, new cam profiles, or different spark timing curves?

Don't get me entirely wrong - I love the 280Z's and yes they run just fine with the system the factory equipped them with 33 years ago, but the system wasn't programmed for the best performance possible. I agree that for it's time, the system was pretty effective and mostly easy to work on.

But given the options available today - I would not recommend going back in time..while trying to improve the performance of an L24/L28 etc.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I hear what your saying Carl. An Aftermarket F.I. system would be the answer if your looking to modify/race your Z. You'll get no argument from me there. I'm just refering to a stock, original 280Z engine used for normal street/highway use- the original factory Bosch L Jetronic system is more than adequate and when you get them working properly, you don't need to worry about "Tinkering" with them for a long time and are very reliable. In my opinion they make the L28 perform awesome on the street. Mine sure does :)

Basically what it comes down to is what your going to use your 280Z or ZX for. If your looking to AutoX, race ect. then yes, get a newer aftermarket F.I. System for more performance and easier tuneability.

If your just looking for a good performer for regular cruises on the normal streets & highways like me then a stock original 280Z set up is like I said earlier "more than adequate" I.M.O. I love the performance of my stock 280Z. She's damn quick enough for me. I take good care of mine and have a blast just driving it. I'm not out looking to drag race people :paranoid:

Jared, that's me in nutshell. Your last paragraph sums up how I use my Z and how I feel about it. I'm not looking to reinvent the car. It is what it is and I enjoy it that way. I've eliminated the 'Degrading plastic pieces' and I have a stash of EFI parts incuding relays, sensors and enough new fuel injectors to keep both cars running for as long as I'll be around. And an understanding of how the system works. So what Nissan charges for parts is really of no concern to me. I never buy parts at the dealer anyway.

Glad to hear you feel the same way pal :)

I did have to replace my injectors in my Z though. They got trashed from sitting for so long before I got it and having bad fuel with who knows what additives mixed in it :paranoid: and I wanted FACTORY so I bit the bullet and spent the money on the kit from Courtesy Nissan. The results after all my work though made it worth every dime. I figure I'm going to do it right the first time or not at all :D

Here is what one of the original injectors looked like that I pulled. Pretty bad.

189850716.jpg

Hi Guys:

Just so we aren't taking across one another - nor giving conflicting advice to Shoottathril200 - - my response was really aimed at the original Post - wherein Shoottathril200 ask about "adapting" a 280ZX F.I. system to his 240-Z. Not really talking specifically about racing, nor increased performance in his case - - more about being able to properly tune out a F. I. System for his L24 and using modern aftermarket parts that are easily available and relatively inexpensive etc.

I wouldn't swap out the OEM system on a stock 280Z/280ZX... nor recommend it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hey Carl,

I'm not looking for an argument believe me. I consider you as one of my fellow Z Car friends :D and I'm not trying to go off the beaten path here and take over Shoottathril200's post. If I did in anyway my appologies.

I just really didn't agree with the factory Bosch F.I. System in the 280Z's being labeled as "historic junk" and felt the need to jump in and voice my opinion on it thats all.

Again, my appologies if I Hi-Jacked the post :bandit:

Hi Jared

No problem - I understand completely.... the problem with having only written comments is we miss tone and facial expressions... Just like Stephen's "vaunted" as a good thing... My house and garage are filled with "historic junk"... Speaking of going off topic - heck I still have a Mac SE running with MacDraw in my office... -VBG-

All the wonderful leading edge stuff for their time...

FWIW,

Carl B.

with disks from a CDC 300MB Hard Drives - with Removable Disk Packs..circa 1980...at $49,500.00. Built with licensed technology from Honeywell - we only had to pay $25,000.00 for the drives direct from CDC!! Only the old guys recognize them today....

I feel I must chime in here. A would argue that a modern aftermarket EMS is benefitial to even the strip cruisers as it opens a WHOLE new world. You are no longer stuck using a dwindling supply of Nissan injectors, sensors, etc.

You can install, say, Megasquirt and use ANY injector you like, as well as GM sensors, etc. The flexibility and tunability of the modern EMS' help to extend the life of your EFI equipped car as it enables them to use modern parts.