IGNORED

Very nice #2 series one

Sailor Bob

I agree - that is the type of car I encourage people to step up to, and buy today. (given that it is as advertised). Always inspect cars like this in person and go over them with a fine tooth comb - if it's as good as the seller represents it to be - its most likely worth every penny of $12K today. (although I'd like to buy it at something closer to $10K, I wouldn't be afraid to pay the extra $2K if necessary).

I'd call it a nice #3 Condition Car. A #2 Condition car would have all Cad. Plated parts in place, and all bright and shinny. No dents anywhere and the paint would be in far better shape. Remember that a #2 Condition car would win National Level Show Competitions if a #1 Condition car doesn't show up. A #1 and #2 Condition car, as originally defined by Kruse's Old Cars Price Guide, are very very close to the same...

Take it home, take it apart and restore it - you'd have about two years of real fun - you'd put another $20K into it - and three years from now you'd have a high end #2 or done carefully enough a #1 car worth $35K to $45K.

This would be a real "fun" restoration project because it would be such a pleasure to take apart... and these are the types of cars the body men actually love to work on... amazing condition... worth their best efforts.

Or take it home, drive it on the weekends, enjoy it at club meets and local shows.. and three years from now you'll have an $16K to $18K example...

Either way, if your looking for a Series 1 240-Z - this is the type of car you should be looking for... and willing to grab it when it comes along. There are still a few out there, but every year there are fewer and fewer that come on the market.. and they get ever more expensive...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Old Cars Price Guide says:

#1 EXCELLENT - Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area, or perfect original with components operating and appearing as new. A 95+ point show car that is not driven.

In national show judging a car in #1 condition is likely to win top honors in it's class. In a sense it has ceased to be an automobile and has become an object of art. It is transported to shows in an enclosed trailer, and, when not being shown it is stored in a climate controlled facility. It is not driven. There are very few #1 cars.

#2 FINE: - Well-restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also an extremely well maintained original showing very minimal wear.

Except for the very closest of inspection a #2 vehicle may appear as a #1. The #2 vehicle will take the top award in many judged shows, except when squared off against a #1 example in its own class. It may also be driven 800 - 1,000 miles each year to shows, on tours, and simply for pleasure.

#3 - Very Good: Completely operable original or "older restoration" showing

wear. Also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable

inside and out. Plus combinations of well-done restoration and good

operable components; or a partially restored car with all parts necessary

to complete it and/or valuable NOS parts.

This is a 20 footer - that is, from 20 feet away it may look perfect. But

as we approach it, we begin to notice that the paint may be getting a

little thin in spots from frequent washing and polishing. Looking inside

we might detect some wear on the drivers seat, foot pedals, and carpet.

The chrome trim while still quite presentable, may have lost the sharp

mirror like reflective quality it had when new. All systems and equipment

on the car are in good operating order. In general, most of the vehicles

seen at car shows are #3's.....

#4 Good - A driveable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be

functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur

restoration. All components may need restoration to be excellent, the car

is mostly usable "as is".

This is a driver - It may be in the process of restoration or it owner may

have big plans, but even from 20 feet away, there is no doubt that it needs

a lot of help..

#5 Restorable - Needs complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior.

May or may not be running, but isn't weathered, wrecked, and/or stripped to

the point of being useful only for parts.

This car needs everything. It may not be operable, but it is essentially

all there and has only minor surface rust, if any rust at all. While

presenting a real challenge to the restorer, it won;t have him doing a lot

of chasing for missing parts.

#6 Parts Car - May or may not be running, but is weathered, wrecked, and/or

stripped to the point of being useful primarily for parts.

This car (if it is as advertised) should be preserved, not restored. Based on the pics it has a nice patina, and with original paint/interior/engine bay has intrinsic value different from that of a modern restoration by the above standards.

It's not important if it's a#1 or #2 car. It is important that the car is AUTHENTIC in that the parts on it are the same ones when the owner took delivery 37 years ago. That is a very unique aspect to this car and should be appreciated. Folks (IMO) are too caught up in making cars look new on their restorations, which is fine, but not everything should be restored.

I'm of the opinion that antique cars are beginning to be considered in a similar fashion to antique furniture, paintings, coins and other collectibles. Example: Restoring real 17th century furniture to "new" appearances would severely devalue it among collectors as its patina and aging are valuable. Similar with cars, those original cars that are "worn in, not worn out" should be treated in a like manner.

Now, if your car is like mine (worn out) then by all means restore it, resto-mod it--whatever you like. One more on the road is better than one more at the crusher. But if it's a preserved original, focus on preservation...

Steve

I agree with both Steve and Carl above. If you are looking for a nice early 240Z, this is the kind of car to buy. Yes, it could be restored to new (or better than new) condition fairly easily. And for that type of project, starting with one like this is absolutely the way to go. Because you already have it all, it just needs cleaned and refurbished.

On the other hand, I really like Steve's post too. That car is already original, and will never be that way again. Buy it, garage it, and drive it. Maybe have the few exterior flaws professionally repaired, and there you go.

Some of you may remember that I already made this same decision about a year ago. I was a year into a rolling refurb on my yellow Series 1 when I came across my red 240Z. Mine is not a Series 1, had 60k miles instead of 40k, and the paint is/was not as nice. But I made the decision to buy mine based on the fact that there was no way to make my yellow car as nice as the red car already was for anywhere close to the cost of buying the red car.

And the car in that auction is even nicer in some ways than mine. Definitely better paint, and it doesn't have the sunroof that mine has. Mine is cleaner and nicer under the hood though, and that's harder to make right than the body is. At this age the difference between 40k and 60k documented original miles is insignificant.

If I didn't have my red car yet, and knowing what I now know, I'd be seriously tempted by this car despite the fact it's on the far side of the continent. I'd buy it, maybe fix the paint and bumper, replace the carpet and enjoy it.

Somebody should jump on this one.