IGNORED

Odd shaking at 50 - 80 and sometimes not there . .

New-to-240z

just to chime in on this... wheel balance!!! Z's are notorious for feeling a wheel that is slightly out of balance. my wheel balance has to be spot on to not feel it.... even if a shop tells you they are balanced, ask them when's the last time they callabrated the machine.

My white Z had a similar shake to it although it would still do it at night. Through the course of owning the car I went through 2 sets of wheels, 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of struts, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, strut rod bushings, control arm bushings, steering rack bushings, steering coupler bushing, 2 steering racks (1 reman and 1 new), 2 sets of outer tie rod ends, a couple alignments, swapped out the hubs and rotors on my other car that didn't have a shake to it. Everything I did would only tend to move around at what speed the shake came and went. Switching back to softer bushings made the problem less noticable in the steering wheel but that is just because less of the shake was getting transferred there.

The best it ever got was when a tire shop did an on the car wheel ballance. He could ballance the wheel on the machine and then spin the drivers side wheel up to speed and it would start vibrating the front end, no sign of any cause that they could find.

Last weekend I wanted to swap out the struts and brakes with my other (new) Z so I just traded the entire assembly between the cars and now my orange Z has the shake. When I traded them I also replaced the ball joints and control arm bushings. I guess this weekend I get to switch back....

I will be switching out the tires tomorrow front to back back to front. Hopefully that will fix the problem....

Actually, that won't FIX the problem, it will just swap it out to the rear end of the car.

That may also have it's repercussions but at least it will get it away from the front end of the car where steering is critical.

However, and do take note of this, if all four tires were bought/installed at the same time, there is a very good possibility that the problem will resurface when the rear tires (now front) undergo the same stress that the original front tires endured.

Simply put, you may drive a mile, or a thousand before it happens again. So, you definitely want to have the tires checked at a tire shop with the knowledge and expectation to buy at least TWO if not all FOUR tires in the near future.

2¢

E

• 2 weeks later...

I had a vibration problem in my '71, turned out to be an out-of-round drum. It took me new tires, two tires balancings, a changed stub axle, all new bushings around the car until I had the thing on stands and my girl friend was like, "hey maybe that round thing is not really round." Yeah turned out to be a $15 fix after my girlfriend figured it out for me:stupid: