IGNORED

Odd shaking at 50 - 80 and sometimes not there . .

New-to-240z

So, I replaced all the front end bushings with poly bushings. I also replaced tie rods, steering coupler with poly, and sway bar. I had the tires balanced and alignment fixed. ( camber is off because of HP struts and Eibach springs. )

Here's the problem. When I'm driving around town at 0-45 mph I get no wiggle in the steering wheel. BUT, as soon as I hit 50 or so I get a pretty violent wiggle and its pretty noticeable. If I try to hold tight to the steering wheel to stop it, as hard as i try it won't. Now, HERE'S THE REALLY WEIRD PART!!! At night almost never happens? What the hell is up with that?

And this shake doesn't always happen at the same speeds. Sometimes it won't shake till I hit 70 and sometimes it will be shaking and then all of a sudden disappear and then come back again. What do you think the problem could be? I'm totally lost! Someone please help me out here!

-Matt

Something is LOOSE:tapemouth

Assuming your new steering gear is all tight and wheels are aligned, methinks you may have some sort of driveline balance or looseness problem.

Either get it up on jackstands or better yet a hoist, and check every item for looseness and or damage.

Diff mounts, tailshaft bolts, gearbox mounts etc.

Check your front rotors, hubs, callipers as well.

Check everything:nervous::nervous:

Night time, well, there are few gamma rays around at night so that would explain thatLOL

I'm with geezer. I had a very similar situation recently with my 72 with poly's and new ball joints. The tires/wheels were balanced twice and the fella that did the work said that they balanced out fine with no problem, but I still had issues. When I put on my "new to me" wheels and tires the problem completely disappeared. Much more enjoyable to drive. So my best guess is that radial seperation is your issue. Good luck.

Nate

You guys probably have it solved, but I have to mention I was using original wheels and wheel covers first when I got the 77 - balanced wheels, all new front end gear, wheel alignment - went for a drive - same as you described.

Took a while to see it, but tried without wheel covers - perfect. Ended up buying wheels.

What really tips the scales towards belt separation (for me) is the comment about it not occurring at night. That seems to indicate a temperature variance, which has a dramatic effect on tires. Everything else would be a constant.

+1

that could be the exact reply from my side when I first read the post.

if you have a friend who has a good set of four wheels, barrow them from him, drive the car and compare.

good luck.

I will be switching out the tires tomorrow front to back back to front. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I've already checked everything, and the rotors are perfectly fine. I replaced the rotors and pads at the same time and did a break in session and let them sit after finishing. So, I'm thinking its really the tires like you guys said. I'll be checking that one out tomorrow. Thanx for all the quick replys