IGNORED

Lookat What I did!

KDMatt

If you want to clean your engine bay, I highly recommend a product called Simple Green. It comes in what looks like a windex bottle and I get it at the local grocery store. Its a biodegradable cleaner that works wonders on engine bays, as well as any exhaust staining on the rear of the car. Cost is less than $5.

Just spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two (don't let it dry) and spray it off. Take all grim right off and doesn't harm the paint! For exceptionally dirty areas, scrub with an old toohbrush or other scrub brush (whatever will fit) and spray off.

Just to give you an idea of how great this stuff works, the fuel pump started to go on the 72, and it sprayed a fuel/oil mixture all over the passenger side of the engine bay. It had been dried on for several weeks, and using this stuff, I had it cleaned up in about 10 minutes.

Highly recommended!

If you want to clean your engine bay, I highly recommend a product called Simple Green.

Highly recommended!

I second that! After painting my engine bay and polishing everything Simple G is the best.

I usd to use a harsh butyl degreaser and in time it ate my paint away. Simple green isn't as fast but at least it won't screw up your paint.

If it were my car I'd take the valve cover off and polish it. Smooth it with 220grit then remove 200 scrtaches with 400. Use a drill or grinder mounted with buffing wheel to finish it to a mirror shine then clear coat it. This beats the crap out of simply rubbing your fingers to the bone with polish.

Matt:

You're not ruined, you're on the right path!!!

I'm willing to bet that KTM has a SERIOUS amount of time invested in his engine bay, you're still in the process of getting and installing, reviewing and discarding and ..... on and on.

What you've done is excellent! Keep up the good work and soon enough you'll be posting a pic and saying "OK KTM Match THIS!!!!"

(But no fair if you get Darbji's help in procuring parts!! LOL)

E

Esc, I do have a serious amount of time in that engine bay and Matt is very well along his path. I have the fortune/misfortune of my L24 giving up the ghost.

There are others that put mine to shame. We all do what we can.

A great degreaser is Marine Clean. It is water based and does not leave a residue. There are quite a few things you can do to 'clean up' your stock engine bay. Rerouting lines, consolidating lines, painting/polishing the valve cover, etc.

E: Thanks dude :) ...

... Darbji isn't a huuge help in the parts department at present... it'd be nice if I could get her AZ discount, but I can't... and her being in Indy isn't helpin' much either... but at least I had a 25% off coupon at Checker for the final major purchase for the project... and I ended up saving close to $30... off of what would have been a $110 purchase or so... so really I got a lot of that air-stuff for free when you look at it that way (or the coil was 75% off... however you wanna slice it).

She says I get to have her car bra though (for the car)... I'm hoping it detracts from the peeling paint and rust on the hood!! ROFL

Esc, I do have a serious amount of time in that engine bay and Matt is very well along his path.

Haha, thanks. I was only joking really, 'just seemed like it was sort of belittling my victory over the car. I've been looking to do this project for over a year now... and it feels -really- good to have it out of the way. I've been working, saving, and accumulating parts for this since late June... student budgets are limited you see.

...A great degreaser is Marine Clean. It is water based and does not leave a residue...

...isn't that made by the POR-15 folks? I never thought of trying it under the hood. Interesting...

Is there any way that the Simple Green (which sounds perfect!) could help us clean this one up? It's a 1971 240Z sitting curbside for some time. Thanks a lot!

http://asta.bizhosting.com/images/Rolfs-240Z-Jlyl200738.JPG

It won't hurt. Just looks like an awful lot of grime, and you should be able to get most of it off. May take a couple of applicaitons however. I would recommend getting a couple bottles, spraying everything down with it (really soak it good - you'll see the grime start to come off) then spray if off with a hose or pressure washer. Reapply to tough areas and scrub with whatever size soft bristle brush will fit (toothbrush or larger!) For less than $10 and some elbow grease should make a major improvement to the engine and bay. Once that is done, you'll be able to see if anything needs more effort.

If you do it, please post "after" pics to go with your "before" one here!

Matt:

When I lived in Iowa, Minneapolis was a short "road-trip". Heck, we'd go up there just to be able to ski!

So, Minneapolis to NW Indiana? Heck, that's just a couple more hours and in a Z??? And if you get a huge savings on stuff??? And you have to question WHY??? (Then again, she might just be funning you and you'd drive all the way and still pay retail...."Who, HIM??? Never saw him before!!!")

On the bra thing.... If your front end is indeed looking ratty and in need of "camouflage", then by all means go for it. It will hide damage and divert the eye from the surrounding areas. However, do take note that you will have to pay extra attention to that area if the bra isn't attached and fitted properly. It will rub and chafe the paint.

FWIW

E