IGNORED

240z Alternator

red_dog007

ahhh... Arne or Zs-ondabrain I think are the ones you need to get in touch with for specifics on this issue.

As far as I know, depending on what swap you do, it isn't hugely advantageous. The early 240's have a 45 amp alt. I believe... later on it became 50 ... on the last 280z's and early ZX's it became 60 and then on the turbos I think it was 70. Not 100% sure of those numbers... but anything after the older 50 amp alternators was internally regulated, so to do the swap it requires bypassing/removing the external regulator and installing a diode of some sort.

There is information about this here...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19898&highlight=alternator+upgrade+harness

and here...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23449&highlight=alternator+upgrade

If you are running nothing beyond stock equipment, the old 45 AMP alt is still marginal (IMHO). Further, the external regulators are an old technology pain in the arse. I swapped in a 280ZX 60 AMP internally regulated unit with one of the 'conversion plugs' with a diode in it (plug sold on this site - $15.00 if I recall correctly)... Absolutely idiot proof (I know because with electrical stuff I am an idiot). 15 minute job (pint of chilled Guinness included). Tremendous improvement - better regulated power and more of it to go around - lights never dim at idle, etc... I recommend the conversion. It's the most simple thing I've done to the car and the results are noticeable. Low cost / anyone can do it / high yield results with more safer better regulated juice. My opinion, anyway.

The ZXP (280ZX alternator adaptor plug) is $15 and available thru me. Email me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com where I'll email the payment and shipping info to ya.

Here's a link to the Info that Arne posted a while ago. He is the inventor, I am the manufacturer.

http://1971.240z.home.comcast.net/extras/alt-adapt.html

I love my ZX alternator, it puts out 60 amps as aposed to the 40 amps and old regulator of the stock 240Z. I have H4 headlights, 800 watts in the stereo system, power windows and locks, and a full MSD/Mallory ignition system. The alternator NEVER fails to supply the needed power.

Dave.

I got a 105 amp internally regulated unit from Z Specialties. Works really great and is a big improvement over the stock unit. I tried to source the 280Z unit, but could not find one . . . . .

I did the same thing and am happy with the upgrade.

If you can find a ZX alternator, though, then Dave's alternator adapter is the hot ticket.

I've said it again and I'll say it before: -

Make sure you run any additional electrical load via correctly rated fuses, relays and correctly dimensioned wiring.

Having a pseudo nuclear power station as an alternator is fine but don't expect existing [factory] wiring to enjoy the new load you want to give it.

"Protection is very important", said the Bishop to the ActressROFL

Put another way - is it "necessary" to give the original factory wiring, the new load from a Super Watt Amplifier at all? Does the power drawn by the Amplifier and then replaced to the battery by the alternator, have to run though the original wiring and thus though (past) the Amp Meter?

What happens when you run a heavy gage wire directly from the alternator output, back to the battery? Would that split the load... half returned from the alternator to the battery through the original wiring in the harness - and half returned through the new wire outside the harness?

Is it a good or bad thing to see your Amp Meter "dancing" with peak loads from additional power consuming devices not originally planned for the car?

humm.......

Carl B.