IGNORED

? about license plates

zhead240

here in canada when u buy your plates u are issued 2. they are to be displayed on the front and back of your vehicle, required by law.for many year i've noticed that tourist from michigan only display one plate on the stern (the back for u land lovers). u would think law enforcement would lobby for 2 plate display as it would double their chance of identifying suspect vehicles. is there any logic for the one plate display??? do all states only have one plate???? tia.

As more jurisdictions here in the US go to photo enforcement, there will be more states requiring two plates.

FWIW, here in Oregon you are required to have both plates unless the car is registered as an antique or Special Interest vehicle. All 240/260/280Zs and most ZXs qualify as SI (more than 25 years old), but that registration requires that the car not be in normal use - just for shows, events , parades and such.

A few years back there was a push here in Indiana to require 2 plates. It ended when in a newspaper interview the head of the Indiana State Police quipped that "I have never seen someone flee from the the police in reverse." LOL

Some of the small towns that make a lot of money from speeding tickets were lobbying for the change I think. It hasn't come back, but greed knows no bounds, so I expect the suggestion will return again someday.

A few years back there was a push here in Indiana to require 2 plates. It ended when in a newspaper interview the head of the Indiana State Police quipped that "I have never seen someone flee from the the police in reverse." LOL

the witticism of police only shows his ignorance and stupidity.

what about amber alert??? cops could identify oncoming vehicle with a front plate. it would be difficult to do by rearview mirror or rubbernecking.

also witnesses at scene could get a read of front and get second chance to confirm from back. my experience, cops rarely solve crimes on threir own, they need the public tips and input.

Thank goodness Georgia does not require two plates! When I was exiled to Upstate NY they required two plates, but I just kept the front one in the truck, and said it came off in the car wash if I was ever asked about it :classic:

@zhead240Z, don't try to push your two plates on us! :classic:

Since they stopped using prison labor to make the plates the cost has gone out of sight :P One plate per car is a savings of 50%. Looks good on your performance review.:rolleyes:

Nebraska has now started using smooth flat metal plates instead of the embossed letter/number plates of old which I would bet was a cost driven decision. Guess they dont care if the plates can be read after a fire.

This is a chronic question ;) But there is a way to put the front plate on:

The bw/front bumper has a pair of threaded holes that aren't spaces right for U.A. license place because they were put there for the Japanese plates. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I'm pretty sure that you can bolt on a bracket for the U.S.plates there. I put my cheapie plastic bracket on the other side.

thxZ

This is a chronic question ;) But there is a way to put the front plate on:

The bw/front bumper has a pair of threaded holes that aren't spaces right for U.A. license place because they were put there for the Japanese plates. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I'm pretty sure that you can bolt on a bracket for the U.S.plates there. I put my cheapie plastic bracket on the other side.

thxZ

I'm not really sure if I understand what you are saying about the spacing since I have a 78 and my front plate is bolted directly to those threaded holes. All of which has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.