IGNORED

changed crankshaft pulley now everything is backwards

Steven_Z

i changed the timing components on my 78. everything was exactly like the book said. tdc #1 piston all that stuff. afterwards i replaced the crankshaft pulley and put it to tdc on #1 piston. now the bright link is on the other side of the sprocket, not on the side where its supposed to be. and now it runs even worse. im baffled. does any of this make sence? im still scratching my head. any help would be apreciated. thanks :)

Im not sure what all the timing components you changed, however the motor should have been set at TDC before any parts were replaced, and then the new replacement part put on without rotating the cam or lower end.

thats what i did. i had it set at tdc on the compression stroke. i even stuck a screwdriver in the #1 piston and turned the motor until it was exactly at its highest point. then i replaced both sprockets and the chain with the bright link on the right side like the FSM said to do. after i got it all put back together it still ran bad so i changed the crankshaft pulley. now it runs worse and when i have it set to tdc the bright link is on the other side of the sprocket and it runs really bad. i dont understand how this happened and i dont want to make any adjustments until i know what has gone wrong so if any of this makes any sence to anyone please give me some insight cause now im at a total loss. i have been tryin to get this running now for 6 months.

thanks. :)

If you indeed set the new chain with the motor at TDC, the bright links on the chain will line up where they are suppose to be (cam and crank sprocket timing marks) it takes a few revolutions on the motor to get these marks to line to line up again at TDC. Im not clear on what you did when you changed the crankshaft pully?? Be carelful though, the upper and lower end of the motor needs to turn as 1 unit. If you get the head out of time with the lower end you could cause damage.

i thought it was supposed to be tdc on the compression stroke. thats how i have it set now.

da... sorry I had a brain frat there... yes TDC on the compression stroke. Also agree that it takes several revolutions to get the Bright Link back to the same starting position....

One thing you might check - with a static timing light - is that the #1 spark plug is indeed firing where/when it is supposed to. On one engine I had, the distributor drive gear lost a tooth, and it wasn't until it lost a couple teeth that it got bad enough to show itself.

FWIW,

Carl B.

1 problem that i have is that there isnt that little timing plate above the crankshaft pulley that tells you where to set the timing at. also i dont understand why it takes several revolutions to get the bright link back to where its supposed to be. i just thought if i was at tdc on #1 piston on the compression stroke and the rotor was pointing at the #1 spark plug that everything was lined up the way it was suposed to be. one last question:

where does the key on the crankshaft supposed to be when its at tdc?

1 problem that i have is that there isnt that little timing plate above the crankshaft pulley that tells you where to set the timing at. also i dont understand why it takes several revolutions to get the bright link back to where its supposed to be. i just thought if i was at tdc on #1 piston on the compression stroke and the rotor was pointing at the #1 spark plug that everything was lined up the way it was suposed to be.

That is correct - when you set the engine up. But you indicated that you had the car running, even if badly... and NOW when you bring the #1 cylinder up on TDC the bright link isn't where it was to start with.

In that case you simply keep turning the engine over, until the bright link returns to its correct position when #1 is at TDC again.

If your engine doesn't have the usual timing mark pointer - go the junk yard and get one off another L series engine. Set the engine at "0" (#1 at TDC) and bolt the pointer in place so it points to the "O" mark on the pulley. Or you can use a piece of bent wire with the end painted yellow.

one last question:

where does the key on the crankshaft supposed to be when its at tdc?

At NOON... right on the top of the crankshaft.

FWIW,

Carl B.

now that i have it set properly the key on the crankshaft is no longer at 12:00. its sitting at 10:00. everything else is lined up. if i turn the crankshaft and put the key back at 12:00 and put the chain back on will this solve the problem? sorry for asking so many questions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

everything is put together as the FSM has indicated; however when i put the oil pump back together i used the picture i got off the stroker website which indicates that the distribitor drive gear be instaled at 11:25 with the fat side pointing to the right. i did exactly that and now the rotor is not pointing at the #1 spark plugit is pointing down like at #6 and it wont start. how do i get it to line up so the rotor points at #1 spark plug? everything is set exactly as the FSM said but i still dont have it right. any help would be greatly apreciated . thanks :)