IGNORED

After replacing all front bushings . .

My passenger front tire now hits the front fender lip while backing up. I have been trying to figure out how this could be happening? I tightened down all the bolts and the only bolt that wasn't very tight was the TC rod on the passenger side. ( I didn't replace the bushnigs myself, i had a shop do this for me.) Anyway, i went down to MSA and asked them, and they thought the only reason that this could be happening, is one of the guys must have messed up putting the LCA bushing in. He said that the stock bushings have a metal cylinder that purtrudes (sp) out on one side. And it is portruding out on different sides for pass and driver. When they put my bushnigs on, they put them on in the same way for both sides, so now my driver side would be fine but the pass side is too far forward. I went today and did a finger test on how far forward the tire is on the pass side compared to the driver side. I can BARELY fit my pinky and ring finger between the tire and front bottom fender on the pass side. Then went over to the driver side and i could fit almost 4 fingers!!!! I think they MUST have FUBARED this up, because i NEVER had this problem before the bushiung swap out.

Can anyone here think of ANY other reason as to why this could happen?

First , I would not drive the car until you find out why. You may damage other components including yourself. I know you said the bushings are installed the same but take another look .Theres probably a reason the TC rod was loose besides oversight. I can't think of another reason besides the bushing installed with the offset the wrong way.Search CONTROL ARM in the meantime and I'm sure someone will probably have the answer.

i will stop driving the car today. It has been driving fine, but i am going to drive it down to the shop tomorrow morning, and have them take a look. From what it seems, they MUST have put the bushings in wrong!! If that's the case, I am making them fix it, and take $$ off the rear end when/IF i have it done by them. Well, i guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Do they (the bushings) look different than the two pictures attached. I suspect that they probably got the right side 180 degrees from what it should be...

webdawg1

From what i was told, on the pass side the bump is pointing out towards the front, and on the driver side it points toward the back. Am i wrong? Are the both pointing forward? Someone please make this a little more clear :) In your pics it looks like they both point forward. . . am i wrong?

I believe I have my pictures labeled wrong. Checked on the bushings as installed in the car...out in the garage. On my 75 280Z they are both pointed to the back (I.E. - Long part of the bushing pointed to the back part of the car)

webdawg1

so they should BOTH be facing backwards? the thicker part should be facing the rear of the car? Becasue MSA said the pass side should be facing the front of the car? I'm very lost right now. :) haha They even showed me a stock LCA for the pass side.

so they should BOTH be facing backwards? the thicker part should be facing the rear of the car? Becasue MSA said the pass side should be facing the front of the car? I'm very lost right now. :) haha They even showed me a stock LCA for the pass side.
Yes. That's how they are on both my cars.

well, i u guys were right. It was facing thje front of the car. So they switched it back out and now it faces the back. The only thing is, it didn't make a huge difference. I mean, i haven't had my tire rub up against the front fender yet, but it seems like the spacing between the front fender and rear fender isn't even. The tire sits a little forward. Has anyone else notice this? Does your car's front tires sit forward in the wheel well? Should they be dead center?