IGNORED

Fighting Rust...Help

zcarmannn

it covers and stops rust, does not get rid of it.

get rid means cut out or sand blast

I believe POR-15 actually chemically alters the rust (iron oxide). Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Hey all,

Both Zero Rust and POR-15 encapsulate the surface starving the oxygen from the steel. They are different technolgies but the function is the same. Seal the steel, if the sound rust you're going over can't breath it can't grow, very basic stuff really.

Neither product is a convertor. Most of the convertors call for "sealing" the surface after conversion is complete. From that standpoint both products make the conversion step unnecessary if not total counter productive.

Vote for Por!!!

I love the stuff except when spraying it as it stays on your hands and face for days. Make sure you buy metal ready, marine clean and por tie coat.

You need the metal ready to prepare the surface and the tie coat so you don't have to sand the por after coats. It says on the tech sheet that por sticks very well onto rusty surfaces. It dries from moisture and exposure to moisture only makes it harder and more angry :angry: .

If you end up doing your whole car in it it gets quite expensive, so be prepared to cough up $$

• 6 months later...

some one told me not to do the whole car with these things.

I have rust (surface) on the hood and a tad on both doors.

I already used a palm sander, and took off the rust from these sections.

should I take off all the paint, even if it is not rusty, or am I just creating more rust opportunities?

and can I put POR on these surfaces first, then top coat with the desired paint color? or is there a better way to do this. I cant sand blast for $ reasons.

thanks